• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The consequences of educational neglect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zooey72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

There is a family member of mine who is below the age of 16 whose mother has taken him out of the school system for an entire year under the guise of homeschooling him. However the child has not been taught anything and has done no work to advance in grade. I am going to report the parent who is responsible for this, but I would like to know beforehand what to expect. My main interest is the child being put back into school, but to ensure this kind of neglect does not take place again what can be done to the parent responsible for the neglect? Also, being a family member and not wanting to rock the boat, do I need to tell the officials involved who I am? If I am required, will they tell the parent that I am the one that turned them in?

Thank you

Just Blue

There is a family member of mine who is below the age of 16 whose mother has taken him out of the school system for an entire year under the guise of homeschooling him. However the child has not been taught anything and has done no work to advance in grade. I am going to report the parent who is responsible for this, but I would like to know beforehand what to expect. My main interest is the child being put back into school, but to ensure this kind of neglect does not take place again what can be done to the parent responsible for the neglect? Also, being a family member and not wanting to rock the boat, do I need to tell the officials involved who I am? If I am required, will they tell the parent that I am the one that turned them in?

Thank you
How do you know the child has been taught nothing?

quincy

Thank you
You can make a report anonymously. There will be an investigation. You will not be informed of the results of the investigation or have any input on what is or is not done to the parent or with the child.

I hope you are sure of your facts and are not just trying to cause problems for the parent.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Thank you
Why are you so up in this family's business?

HRZ

Sadly, but my guess is that even an accurate report of no education actually taking place while home schooled is likely to be # 102 on the problem list of local school administrator to address..and he or she never gets past#15

only a person willing to vigorously and repeatedly rock the boat and blow whistles stands a ghost of a chance..and if it's a " problem" student ...not even a ghost of a chance.

quincy

A parent who chooses to homeschool their child still has attendance reporting requirements set by the state (4 hours a day, 180 days a year), so it is not like the child totally disappears. But, after grade 9, there is no state testing of the home-schooled student and there is no state-mandated curriculum, so the home-schooled student potentially could bake cookies for 4 hours a day for 180 days for all of grades 10, 11 and 12 and still be issued a diploma upon "graduation." The diplomas are parent-created.

I do not see how a parent can be any more lax in educating their home-schooled child than the law allows them to be, quite frankly.

Just Blue

A parent who chooses to homeschool their child still has attendance reporting requirements set by the state (4 hours a day, 180 days a year), so it is not like the child totally disappears. But, after grade 9, there is no state testing of the home-schooled student and there is no state-mandated curriculum, so the home-schooled student potentially could bake cookies for 4 hours a day for 180 days for all of grades 10, 11 and 12 and still be issued a diploma upon "graduation." The diplomas are parent-created.

I do not see how a parent can be any more lax in educating their home-schooled child than the law allows them to be, quite frankly.
Yay for homeschooling!! :(

quincy

Yay for homeschooling!! :(
I have relatives who are home-schooling their children and, while I question their choice to do so, the children seem to be doing okay academically.

The parents themselves are extremely well-educated but the schools in the area where they currently live are substandard. Although I know these particular kids are not baking cookies all day, and the parents take seriously their roles as educators, I feel sorry for the kids because of their social isolation.

I guess time will tell how well these kids adapt to life away from the family unit ... but I am not a big fan of home-schools.

Zooey72

I am 100% sure that this is educational neglect. I was told by the parent and child that there is no teaching going on. The child has no material to study from and no curriculum given by the parent. Just for the record, I am a huge supporter of home schooling. Home schooled children generally do better than public school kids and are better adjusted IMO. The parent(s) who essentially take on another job as their child's teacher should be admired. That is not what this is. I consider what this parent has done as child abuse since they have stolen a year from this kid's educational life. That being said if all of the information provided is true it is a travesty of justice that the parent could do this to their child and not even have the consequences of a speeding ticket.

Zigner

I am 100% sure that this is educational neglect. I was told by the parent and child that there is no teaching going on. The child has no material to study from and no curriculum given by the parent. Just for the record, I am a huge supporter of home schooling. Home schooled children generally do better than public school kids and are better adjusted IMO. The parent(s) who essentially take on another job as their child's teacher should be admired. That is not what this is. I consider what this parent has done as child abuse since they have stolen a year from this kid's educational life. That being said if all of the information provided is true it is a travesty of justice that the parent could do this to their child and not even have the consequences of a speeding ticket.
Who are you to this family and why are you all up in this family's business?

Zigner

Educational neglect is getting up in someone's business? I prefer this family member have an education higher than that of Jethro Bodene.
I see that you don't want to answer the questions that are inconvenient to you.

quincy

Educational neglect is getting up in someone's business? I prefer this family member have an education higher than that of Jethro Bodene.
Legally, the parent can educate his/her child to the state's home-school standards (which are pitifully low).

I do not see there is a lot you can do. If you are close to the family, however, you could always gift the child with some educational material and take the child on some educational outings.

And you can report the parent if you feel the child is being neglected (or abused).

Zooey72

I see that you don't want to answer the questions that are inconvenient to you.
No brainless, I don't want to be specific here because this is the internet and we are talking about a child. If I were specific than the people involved could come to this board and figure out who has reported them. I personally don't care about the parent knowing... they are garbage and I want nothing to do with them. There are other people involved who would rather not let it be known that I reported them, and they do care (although they agree that the parent needs to be reported).

I should defer to you however since it is obvious that you are a victim of educational neglect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">