• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The end of my BK Saga~ I hope....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?NH
Well here is how things ended up~
Cancelled my BK (Im out 600 bucks and will get about that amount back)
Called the lawyer who was handling the one(of two) delinquent Providian accounts, now owned by a collection agency. I tried him (and the collection agency many times before getting a call back. This particular agency obviously hands EVERY account to lawyers on retainer in the various states~ They were very nice, asked me for my state and said I would have to call their lawyer there... which is the firm i received the letter from on 8/20..
I told him my situation, how i was broke a few years ago due to employment circumstances and that providian had raised my interest rate to 29.9% on an account with a $7000 balance- after ALL my payments had been on time. He knew my lawyer I was going to file BK with as well. I explained how i thought things through and did not want to file Chapter 7 for 2 accounts totaling 13000.00. He was very nice and agreed. he asked me my income, rent payments/car payments. I told him I would give him the $600.00 I was getting back from my lawyer and I could afford to pay $130.00 per month. Its going to suck big time but I can get a second job if i need to. And the kicker was this: I was already SERVED with a summons on 9/27 or 9/29~ I forget what he said. Well it was an attempted service at my mailbox Ect place. needless to say I go there now with my head held down in shame like a criminal. They gave the sherrif my old address in a different city 50 miles away, so they wouldnt have found me there either.
The lawyer was extremely nice and appreciated that I was trying to pay my debt. And to tell you the truth, whether it was the right decision or not, I felt pretty good about it too. He also offered a settlement- I told him If i had $4000.00 to end this right now, I would. But i don't. He said he understood and that if my payments were made on time, it was something we could talk about down the road. He talked to me like a human being which was nice.
Then he wanted my real address. I was very worried and asked him, so you can just serve me papers there? He said no, that they will need my real address to send me this contract i will be signing. This firm is totally reputable so I gave him my address, and he understood that i didnt have this money and would just declare BK anyway.
I received the contract in the mail yesterday, it is fine, no hidden legal terms~ He didnt even make me pay immediately- My minimum $130.00 payment is due by Nov 1st (and the 1st of the month thereafter), and my $600.00 lump payment is due by Nov 15th. I will be paying by money order.
And yes, we did discuss validation.. He offered to send me my final credit card statement which was in front of him, I DO NOT know if my signed application was in existence anymore, but I made my decision to pay. Wrong or right.
Anyway, now i just have the other account to worry about. SOL runs out in about 8 months. No lawyers from that one yet. Just two collection agencies on that one that seem to be working together.lol.
Just a good lesson for everyone here- if a laywer sends you a letter- you may be sued immediately (like i was about to be) after your 30 days to respond is up. I was shocked that they(attempted to) serve me so fast. I also joined PACER- it is the Electronic Court Filing thing so i can look for any pending lawsuits~ I am a little worried because i searched about 10 days after that attempted service was done and there was nothing in the system under my name.. I thought when the papers were filed with the court, that that would show- It didnt.

bigun

I'd suggest you not agree to anything unless, a final settlement amount is specified. Now that he knows you aren't bluffing about a BK filing, I'll bet he'll be agreeable to a setlement of $4k and let you make payments. If it's not in writing, it never happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">