• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Fire Next Door!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rocknrolldiva

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Ok i have searched everywhere but not really sure what to search for. The house next door to me caught fire 2 months ago and melted my siding. He will not return my phone calls. I tried to turn it into my insurance but it doesn't meet my deductible. I think he should pay for it though regardless since he owned the house. Now my siding is melted and he hasn't cleaned up the debris that is left over from the fire. Is there anything I can do like maybe put a lien on his property by cleaning it up myself?? It is a health hazard it's been mowed once the whole summer and now 2 walls are standing that are charred and broken glass everywhere. I can't afford to go to an attorney i'm on a limited income so i need to handle this myself but i truly need help!! Anyone??

matti422

You said the amount was below your deductible, but you haven't said how much. Small claims court might be an option. You can ask for the money to fix the siding, or an injunction requiring your neighbor to do it (you might aim for the money - who knows who he might hire to do the work). I'm not sure what IN limits on small claims are, but you might want to check. I'm not sure what the claim would be - conversion of property is the best guess I have. Maybe trespass or vandalism (although I think that has to be intentional).

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">