• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The harassing ex-wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

regal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm not sure where to begin and wasn't sure what Forum this would fall under. My nightmare begins with my husbands ex-wife and her attempt to cause problems for us. My husband was divorced 7 years ago and we have been married for 3. The mistake he made was signing a divorce degree downloaded from the internet and no legal representation. The divorce was a rush due to his wife being pregnant with another mans child and they wanted to be married before the baby came. They used the generic divorce degree from the internet and for items like medical insurance, they just verbally made agreements. So for 7 years the ex was providing the medical insurance through her employer and the child support would more than cover those premiums, but is was never spelled out in the decree, they just verbally agreed on this. The ex-wife never made demands for any extra money for the premiums.

She decided to file a lawsuit because she was mad at me for giving her a hard time for not taking care of my step-daughter and by endangering her by driving drunk with her daughters in the car. Anyway, the lawsuit is for some back child support in 2005 and past 7 years of insurance premiums. She forgot she signed a affidavit with the Attorney General back in 2005 that her ex-husband paid her 2 months of child support in cash due to a bad financial situation and she couldn't wait on the system for the money.

We have been going back and forth on this issue and have a court date December 11th. The last written agreement we received from her attorney (that happens to be the ex-wife's sister-in-law) was they would drop the entire suit if my husband and I would get a divorce and stay divorced.

I just can't believe a attorney would put that in writing. This case has caused me a lot of mental anguish due to her plot to split us up. This has nothing to do with needing support for the child. This is a total witch hunt and frivolous.

Do I have any recourse on this?

Zephyr

For starters, you (or any new spouse) should never be telling the other parent what they are doing wrong- that is a recipe for disaster.

Your husband's legal recourse is to prove his case in court. He needs to gather any and all evidence that refutes his ex-wife's claims and either get an attorney or figure out how to properly present that evidence to the court.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name she was mad at me for giving her a hard time for not taking care of my step-daughter
I can tell you that the first time my ex's wife decided to give me a hard time about how I was raising our kids (mine and her husband's - not hers) was the last time I had anything to do with her. You way overstepped, and now your husband gets to pay the price. Way to go.

Perky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

This is a total witch hunt
Yep, it sure sounds like a witch hunt, literally. :rolleyes:

Off topic, but I'm surprised your husband and his ex were allowed to divorce while she was pregnant.

VeronicaLodge

yep, as a step mother myself, i can not believe you referred to HER CHILD as YOUR step daughter.

I also find it very hard to believe your husband got a divorce while his wife was pregnant unless they lied to the court and never mentioned she was pregnant

i also find it hard to believe she could carry an ex husband on her work insurance for 7 years unless they lied to the insurance as well.

sounds like a lot of fraud or at least lying is going on around here, maybe he is just lying to youl

Isis1

let's see.....you went drunk driving with HER kids in the car....and you aren't in jail?? but you want to be upset because she is upset? did i understand that right?

then...because you are a danger to HER children she doesn't want you around HER children. well, i don't blame her for that. she would have a great chance in making sure that dad never sees his children while you are around. in other words, while dad has his kids, you will need to disappear. when dad has overnights, you need to find another home. if dad was smart, he'd divorce you for endangering his kids anyway. but dad doesn't seem to bright anyway.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I think the SM is insinuating that the mom was drunk driving with the child in the car.

And from what I read, mom has been covering the child from her employment; this issue wasn't addressed in the original divorce decree.

I suspect that SM has been sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong and mom is tired of it.

Isis1

I think the SM is insinuating that the mom was drunk driving with the child in the car.

And from what I read, mom has been covering the child from her employment; this issue wasn't addressed in the original divorce decree.

I suspect that SM has been sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong and mom is tired of it.
you maybe and probably are right. something about that incredibly long winded sentence. funny...dad didn't get anyone such as the police involved in that matter. as a parent, i would have jumped on that in a heartbeat.

regal

Let me explain better

I'm the step-parent. My husbands ex-wife carried my step-daughter on her insurance for 7 years....no issues.

I have been quiet for many years and watched the neglect of my step-daugher for way too long. My step-daughters mother has driven around drunk with 2 children in the car many time. We have several wittnesses and have notified the police, but the police have to catch her.

After I had my new baby, the my step-daughters mother became very jeolous and started making harassing phone calls and text messages in the middle of the night. She has also stalked me. I was hoping to keep ingoring and she would go away. I got upset and started confronting her when she brings her daughter to my house an she is flat drunk. Also, my step-daughter has had lice (8) times in one year. I had a new baby in the house and the school sent my step-daughter home with lice and her mother never told us. So my step-daughter comes to my house and her mother never told me about the lice. She did it on purpose because of my new baby. She used her own daughter as a weapon.

That is just a little piece of the fustration I'm going through.....as a mother, I can't just sit back and watch her neglected......is very sad to watch. Her mother is a alcoholic and needs treatment.

What I really need help trying to understand. How can a lawyer write a document that they will drop the suit if the former spouse gets a divorce? That spells out why she is doing the suit in the first place.

regal

Divorce and pregnant

I forgot to mention the pregnancy....yes, she would have had to lie to the courts about the pregnancy.....can anything be done now about that?

LdiJ

I forgot to mention the pregnancy....yes, she would have had to lie to the courts about the pregnancy.....can anything be done now about that?
Sure...your husband could assert legal paternity and go through the whole legal mess of determining who the dad is....:rolleyes:

Humusluvr

I'm the step-parent. My husbands ex-wife carried my step-daughter on her insurance for 7 years....no issues.

I have been quiet for many years and watched the neglect of my step-daugher for way too long. My step-daughters mother has driven around drunk with 2 children in the car many time. We have several wittnesses and have notified the police, but the police have to catch her.

After I had my new baby, the my step-daughters mother became very jeolous and started making harassing phone calls and text messages in the middle of the night. She has also stalked me. I was hoping to keep ingoring and she would go away. I got upset and started confronting her when she brings her daughter to my house an she is flat drunk. Also, my step-daughter has had lice (8) times in one year. I had a new baby in the house and the school sent my step-daughter home with lice and her mother never told us. So my step-daughter comes to my house and her mother never told me about the lice. She did it on purpose because of my new baby. She used her own daughter as a weapon.

That is just a little piece of the fustration I'm going through.....as a mother, I can't just sit back and watch her neglected......is very sad to watch. Her mother is a alcoholic and needs treatment.

What I really need help trying to understand. How can a lawyer write a document that they will drop the suit if the former spouse gets a divorce? That spells out why she is doing the suit in the first place.
Why isn't your husband doing anything about this?

My recommendation - completely stay in the background, to avoid anything further confrontation. Let your husband completely father his child, and you do nothing. You can tell HIM your opinion, but stay out COMPLETELY from the parenting of this girl.

Are you worried your husband might divorce you? Is it that bad?

regal

The husbands ex-wife was very pregnant when she divorced my husband. We know the child is not his. My questions is, she obviously lied to the courts, does that void the divorce? She wanted a quick divorce so she could marry the father of her child before the child was born.

We are fine, I'm not concerned about any problems. I just didn't know what someone could create a law suit about back insurance premiums and then state they would drop the case if their former spouse divorced their current spouse. We are not signing the document.

If we do go to court, what would a judge think about this? It's obvious this is not about getting money for the child, it's about getting rid of the new wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">