• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The IRS wouldn't tell me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LittleJanni

Ohio

Okay so I called the IRS to find out if I had been claimed as a dependent on someone else's taxes for the year 2012. ALL I wanted to know is about my own personal information. In 2012 I did not file taxes. But the social security administration had me as listed in someone's home I've never resided in at all in my life. They receive this information from the IRS as they say so in their prompts on the phone. Something to the effect of if you are not receiving benefits we receive our information about your address from the IRS.

When I called to find out why I was listed as living at that address during that time-frame even though I've absolutely never lived at that address in the entirety of my life they would not give me information. They said they wouldn't even look up my social security number to see if someone in the household had claimed me as a dependent on their taxes. What would happen if I wanted to file my 2012 taxes? I can't find out if I've already been claimed?

Why won't the IRS allow me to have information about myself?!:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

LdiJ

Ohio

Okay so I called the IRS to find out if I had been claimed as a dependent on someone else's taxes for the year 2012. ALL I wanted to know is about my own personal information. In 2012 I did not file taxes. But the social security administration had me as listed in someone's home I've never resided in at all in my life. They receive this information from the IRS as they say so in their prompts on the phone. Something to the effect of if you are not receiving benefits we receive our information about your address from the IRS.

When I called to find out why I was listed as living at that address during that time-frame even though I've absolutely never lived at that address in the entirety of my life they would not give me information. They said they wouldn't even look up my social security number to see if someone in the household had claimed me as a dependent on their taxes. What would happen if I wanted to file my 2012 taxes? I can't find out if I've already been claimed?

Why won't the IRS allow me to have information about myself?!:confused::confused::confused:
Because the law does not allow the IRS to reveal information regarding someone else's return. However, what the IRS WILL allow you to do is file an identity theft claim and will provide you information so that you can file your own tax return if you believe that your identity has been compromised.

If you explain what is actually going on we might be able to give you better advice.

davew128

When you called the IRS, did you bother to ask them about what IS reported under your name for 2012? Sounds like SSA had wage income reported under your name.

LittleJanni

For some reason I cant reply without moderators approval but I reported everything in a reply about my whole story.

LittleJanni

I was just trying to quote someone! Anyways

I was completely disabled in 2012. I lived in the state of California but at the time did not receive social security benefits. As of now I am almost 48 years old. The state the representative for social security said they saw me listed in was Misssissippi. I was never in Mississippi.
I did reside for a short period in ms but that was in 2006. And I was not at the address or living with the individual they said. Anyway there's more detail in the post that needs a moderator but in 2012 I did not earn any income because of a disease I still have and which is permanent disabled my body to a point where many days I couldt stand. I was crippled. Now I am better with medication etc
So I didn't earn income in 2012 to report and I didn't live with anyone. I lived alone in ocean side ca

I can give more details later. I am now typing on a phone

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">