• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Square app ripoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caernach

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My fiancees parents run a merchant booth at craft shows, & were using The Square credit card reader on their smartphone. After a few shows they noticed no money was going into their account. They called Square & were told it had all been processed as cash! When they asked why, they were told it was because their smartphone model was out of date & no longer supported by the app, so now they are out $2800. All Square offered in recompense was $1000 worth of free usage fees for the remainder of the year. No instructions specifying phone requirements had been included with the Square, so it seems fishy that they can get away with this. Is there any legal recourse to recover the money?

PayrollHRGuy

I'll bet that isn't exactly what they were told. Were you present for the conversation?

If it was on a Apple device the current version will run on iOS 9.0 or newer. That takes you back to the iPhone 4 or 5 level equipment. But I can't imagine that its' failure simply go to a cash (advance?) transaction. And even if it did it is still a transaction.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, there's been something misunderstood here. A device with compatibility issues either doesn't work at all, or only can be used for manual entries. They should call Square again and work their way up the chain.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My fiancees parents run a merchant booth at craft shows, & were using The Square credit card reader on their smartphone. After a few shows they noticed no money was going into their account. They called Square & were told it had all been processed as cash! When they asked why, they were told it was because their smartphone model was out of date & no longer supported by the app, so now they are out $2800. All Square offered in recompense was $1000 worth of free usage fees for the remainder of the year. No instructions specifying phone requirements had been included with the Square, so it seems fishy that they can get away with this. Is there any legal recourse to recover the money?
Was the reader purchased online from the Square site?

There is not only a lot of information provided on the site, including on compatibility, but also the purchaser must provide a lot of personal information before purchase. The type of device being used must be included and Square lets you know if your device is incompatible.

I agree that there seems to be more to the story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">