• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Unemployment Rate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questar

Say you have 100 people which make up the workforce and all are employed, as a result you would have a 0% unemployment rate(UR). Now if 25 of those workers began collecting unemployment, than the UR would rise to 25%. But if those 25 unemployed workers ran out of their unemployment benefits, then they would no longer be considered part of the workforce and in turn no longer be a part of the equation, so the UR would drop back down to 0% even though none of the 25 actually found work. So my question is how can the President, as well as other politicians use this particular statistic to prove an increase in employment when it clearly does no such thing? Do our leaders have the Right to lie and mislead us?

cyjeff

We still don't do homework.

But I will give you a hint... the real unemployment rate must factor in not only those that are actually getting paid unemployment benefits but also those that are no longer eligible for benefits because they have run out AND those that are no longer eligible for benefits because they have taken a job FAR below what they were making before but enough for it to remove them from UB.

And then we will start on the one about the two trains that meet in St. Louis.

questar

I still don't understand what you are talking about.
I'm not a lawyer-in-training, I'm a philosopher-in-training, and as far as this particular thread is concerned, I'm also a 99er. I didn't think this site was for lawyer apprentices, if it is, just let me know.
What's more, what you implied isn't true, that is that I've misunderstood the UR. I guess I'll be back w/URL's or a retraction. Thank you for your time champ.

Last edited:

cyjeff

I still don't understand what you are talking about.
I'm not a lawyer-in-training, I'm a philosopher-in-training, and as far as this particular thread is concerned, I'm also a 99er. I didn't think this site was for lawyer apprentices, if it is, just let me know.
Oh, so if I don't automatically give you the answer to yet another of your homework essays, I must, then, be beneath contempt?

The sound you will hear from the other posters? Those are crickets.

Maybe you should avoid legal sites and, instead, look for a philosophy site.

If you want a lawyer to answer your questions, ask one... be prepared to be billed in 6 minute increments.

cyjeff

What's more, what you implied isn't true, that is that I've misunderstood the UR. I guess I'll be back w/URL's or a retraction. Thank you for your time champ.
Goody. We are going to play the "add to the post after a poster has responded" game.

Every single question you have posted on this board is hypothetical in nature and sounds exactly like a homework problem.

You definitely misunderstood what we do here if you think the volunteers here have the time to answer all the questions that pop into your mind instead of helping people that actually need help.

Besides, if we do your homework for you, you won't learn nothin'.

quincy

Sorry, cyjeff. I guess I am a cricket (or just feel like doing homework tonight).

The answer to your question, questar, is "yes." Our politicians and our leaders have the right to lie to us and mislead us, just like regular people do.

If we get tired of the lies being told by our politicians, however, we each have a vote we can use to try to elect someone into office who will not lie to us or mislead us (if any such person exists).

I think you may be starting with the wrong assumption on the users of the statistics, however. You are assuming these leaders and politicians are liars when they may not be lying at all (although they may, indeed, be trying to mislead the public a bit).

It is always important to look at the sources of any information you wish to rely on. Because statistics can be manipulated in such a way that they can be used to support whatever it is someone wishes to support, you must first check to see where the statistics originated (who compiled them and how) and then you must look at who is presenting them and why.

This can help you determine how much faith you can place in the information.

Taking statistics to paint the picture you want others to see, while at the same time maintaining the accuracy of the statistics, is a real art form. . . . and many politicians have perfected it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">