• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

THE VOICE LEGAL DOCS ... too much power?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Does the Following give ANYONE the right to FORCE a home interview, force cameras into my home, force a certain song choice, or force a particular wardrobe choice?

I am a big on privacy and I sing for the message that I wish to send.

https://www.nbcthevoice.com/download/Voice-20-Eligibility-and-Release.pdf

https://www.nbcthevoice.com/download/Voice-20-Intellectual-Property-Release.pdf
What is the name of your state?

Contract analysis exceeds the scope of this forum. Before signing any legally binding agreement, you will want an attorney in your area to go over the terms with you, so that you fully understand what you are agreeing to before signing.

As a general rule, the TV networks get to dictate what they want to have on their shows.

MQE

I am from WASHINGTON STATE, but it appears to use CALIFORNIA law.

That is why I didn't answer that question in the first place.

quincy

Thank you for answering my question. You would be signing understanding that the governing law, should a dispute arise, will be California law.

As a note: I edited my previous post to add some general information.

Last edited:

MQE

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I didn't know the scope. What other entertainment Questions would people have that would have a real life impact and NOT be about CONTRACTS?

So, what you seem to be implying without strictly saying, for obvious reasons, is that if I want to keep my freedom of choice "DON'T DO IT"!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for letting me know. I guess I didn't know the scope. What other entertainment Questions would people have that would have a real life impact and NOT be about CONTRACTS?

So, what you seem to be implying without strictly saying, for obvious reasons, is that if I want to keep my freedom of choice "DON'T DO IT"!!!
You're misunderstanding "freedom of choice". You have the freedom to choose whether or not to enter in to a contract with them. Once you have chosen to enter in to a contract, you are bound by that contract (by choice).

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Does the Following give ANYONE the right to FORCE a home interview, force cameras into my home, force a certain song choice, or force a particular wardrobe choice?
None of those things are specifically mentioned in the documents you linked. However, the documents do make it clear that the producers control every aspect of the show performances and the media created from them. So if you want to get on that stage and sing, you have to play ball their way or they can tell you to take a hike. You also grant the producers extensive rights to the use of your name and image, which they can continue to do even after they tell you to take a hike. Before you sign on to be in one of these kind of talent competition shows I strongly recommend you have all documents the producers want you to sign reviewed by an intellectual property attorney so you understand just what it is that you giving up to the producers for your shot at fame.

quincy

Years ago, my wife and I applied for The Amazing Race. We happened to be at a shopping mall that was doing pre-screening interviews with videos, and we applied, amusing ourselves with each other’s responses to the questions. We really had no intention of competing.

Surprisingly, several weeks later we were notified that the producers wanted a second interview - and we were sent a 50+ page booklet of terms and conditions, with additional questions and required documents (medical, financial, personal).

I don’t know if most people read all of the forms and information - but they should. The network attorneys make sure that they have all rights and the contestants have none.

Generally speaking, nothing so bad is going to happen to a contestant that a contestant is going to want to seek legal action against the network. But, should something happen, the contracts that are signed will pretty much protect the network from any liability.

If you want to consider appearing on The Voice, you should have all forms that you are asked to sign personally reviewed by an attorney in your area, and all terms explained to your full understanding.

Reactions: MQE

MQE

None of those things are specifically mentioned in the documents you linked. However, the documents do make it clear that the producers control every aspect of the show performances and the media created from them. So if you want to get on that stage and sing, you have to play ball their way or they can tell you to take a hike. You also grant the producers extensive rights to the use of your name and image, which they can continue to do even after they tell you to take a hike. Before you sign on to be in one of these kind of talent competition shows I strongly recommend you have all documents the producers want you to sign reviewed by an intellectual property attorney so you understand just what it is that you giving up to the producers for your shot at fame.
I don't even necessarily want fame, it is about the message.

quincy

There are many singers who have started successful careers on YouTube with videos (Justin Bieber is one notable singer). If you have talent, you do not need to go on a TV show to showcase your talent, although the exposure can be nice.

But shows like American Idol and The Voice can also backfire. The critiques can be rough.

It is ultimately up to you.

zddoodah

I am a big on privacy and I sing for the message that I wish to send.
Then reality TV is to be avoided like the plague.

Probably, but I'm not reading through a six page agreement for the benefit of someone I don't know and who isn't paying me.** That sort of review is way beyond what anyone could reasonably expect from an internet message board. However, the following language on the last page of the longer document is important: "I AM GIVING UP CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT." Also, I would hope it obvious to anyone with even the teeniest amount of common sense that, if you want to compete on a show like this, you must play by the producers' rules.

** - I did, however, note that the document refers prospectively to traveling in August/September 2020, so it may be that this thing is out of date.

What other entertainment Questions would people have that would have a real life impact and NOT be about CONTRACTS?
If I wanted to, I could come up with hundreds of "entertainment [q]uestions" that folks might hypothetically have that don't relate to contracts.

quincy

It is also important to note the penalties for violating any of the terms of the contract. The Voice contract mentions a $500,000 liquidated damages figure for any unauthorized disclosures by a contestant, among several other potential penalties.

When my wife and I applied for The Amazing Race, I vaguely remember a $1 million penalty clause (hidden among a lot of legalese) for revealing any details of the race to anyone. Of course, by the time we got to reading that document, my wife had already told everyone we knew that we were going for a second interview. Trying to keep a secret is not really my wife’s strong point. Had we competed, I am sure the race would have been followed with our filing for bankruptcy. Haha.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It's their show, their television network, and they are going to control the message that goes out on their show. If they don't like your message, whatever it is, they'll tell you to either drop it or take a hike. And those will be your choices — you can't force them to broadcast your message.

quincy

The Voice is a show that seems to have avoided to date any controversial performers. The songs are pretty standard - songs that the panel members for the most part know. This is unlike American Idol that has a number of contestants singing their original songs and contestants that are odd ducks.

Although I guess that a lot would depend on what sort of “message” MQE wants to communicate in his/her performance, a contestant probably would not get an audition (or one that was aired on tv, at any rate) if the song or performance strayed from the rules and/or expectations of the show.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">