• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by Deception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My boyfriend was deceived into believing a woman on the internet, and wired her 4500.00 with her promise to pay him back. The promises were through verbal conversations, as well as ICQ conversations where she states she has sent the money and it never arrives. We have proof of the wires, the ICQ transcripts, as well as a private criminal background check we had run on her. She is from North Dakota, we are from Minnesota, and she used an alias when picking up the wires, but her real name is on the police report, as well as her social security number. Is there anyway to prosecute this? I know it is his stupidity that has landed him in this predicament, but honestly, there has to be something we can do to prosecute her. Please let me know what to do at [email protected] Thanks so much.


Senior Member
Suing the scammer is only one of your problems. And maybe the least important. The real question is whether you would ever be able to collect if you have a judgment against her. Based on your post, this is either a very stupid woman, or a very smart one. Either way, enforcement will probably be very tough.

In any case, you will have to sue her one her 'home grounds'. Not necessarily due to jurisdiction, but certainly in order to enforce any judgment that you might receive.

So, if you do decide to go forward, contact the Small Claims courts in ND and ask them to send you a 'complaint package'.
Here are some links that should help:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential