• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft in TX by Child age 17, Parents in trouble.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

catamil

Our 17yr old was caught taking a plastic bead bracelet retail value $6.00, from a store. The store retained the property, but we have received a demand letter from Civil Recovery Services in CA, making a demand for $200 from us the parents. The letter states that under Texas State law the store may be entitled to recover from us its actual damages, not to exceed $5000, plus reasonable and necessary attorney's fees. The quote TX CIV Prac & Rem 134.002 definitions, 134.003 Liability and 134.005 Recovery. Since my child is considered an adult in the State of TX, should I pay this? Why would I owe anything if there were no actual damages. The store still has the bracelet. Would it be reasonable for me to offer them 3 times the retail value of the property for full payment?

Please help 30 days is coming up on 7/27/00.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">