• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft of liquor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrhelpesuhcs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state.
So recently I underwent a large fiasco which ended in the confiscation of a few bottles of hard liquor and the cops telling me that the evidence would be sent to my county's prosecutor and then they would come up with charges and whatnot. It's pretty likely that I'm going to be charged with MIP and MIC (I'm under 18, admitted to drinking, and the liquor was in my backpack). But my question is pertaining to theft charges. I was in a group of 5 people who all were in the store when the liquor was supposedly stolen. There was no video evidence of the theft occuring, and when we were lined up the employee from the store told the cops that it wasn't any of us who stole the liquor. So we were pretty much off scot-free with the theft, until one of my incredibly loyal and intelligent friends takes a cop aside and tells him that I am the one who stole the liquor (which I'm not saying is true, that's just what he told the cop). He then proceeded to write a witness report in which he stated again that I was the thief. So what I'm asking is how will this evidence weigh out? If there's no video evidence, none of us were chosen out of a line-up, and the other 3 members of our group say that I was not the one who stole it, how will it stack up to 1 person's witness report and the fact that the liquor was in my back pack? (also, I was the only one in the group who had a back pack and I told police that I didn't steal it, I just was the one stuck carrying it as no one else had any means of concealing it)

I should also add that this is my first offence.

sandyclaus

So recently I underwent a large fiasco which ended in the confiscation of a few bottles of hard liquor and the cops telling me that the evidence would be sent to my county's prosecutor and then they would come up with charges and whatnot. It's pretty likely that I'm going to be charged with MIP and MIC (I'm under 18, admitted to drinking, and the liquor was in my backpack). But my question is pertaining to theft charges. I was in a group of 5 people who all were in the store when the liquor was supposedly stolen. There was no video evidence of the theft occuring, and when we were lined up the employee from the store told the cops that it wasn't any of us who stole the liquor. So we were pretty much off scot-free with the theft, until one of my incredibly loyal and intelligent friends takes a cop aside and tells him that I am the one who stole the liquor (which I'm not saying is true, that's just what he told the cop). He then proceeded to write a witness report in which he stated again that I was the thief. So what I'm asking is how will this evidence weigh out? If there's no video evidence, none of us were chosen out of a line-up, and the other 3 members of our group say that I was not the one who stole it, how will it stack up to 1 person's witness report and the fact that the liquor was in my back pack? (also, I was the only one in the group who had a back pack and I told police that I didn't steal it, I just was the one stuck carrying it as no one else had any means of concealing it)

Nice first offense, buddy.

If your friend hadn't spoken up and ratted you out, you might have gotten off easy. However, with your friend's testimony, along with the fact that you had the liquor in your possession, you can pretty much expect a conviction.

Have your parents hire an attorney for you ASAP, and speak to no one but that attorney about any of this from this point forward.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
THe friend who ratted you out was the smart one - he jumped first at a deal. Too bad you and your other friends were too stupid to do so.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
THe friend who ratted you out was the smart one - he jumped first at a deal. Too bad you and your other friends were too stupid to do so.
Since they were in the store still, the friend may not even have to take a deal as he may not face any charges. He was the smart one. The OP is the least intelligent of the bunch and apparently has a drug/alcohol problem which he needs to nip in the bud right now if he ever wants to amount anything.

quincy

Way to rack up a whole host of misdemeanor offenses at one time, mrhelpesuhcs.

With a single gross misdemeanor, you are looking at up to 364 days in jail and a fine of up to $5000 and, with a conviction, your drivers license will be suspended for one year (even if you are able to get into a diversion program - and there is no guarantee of that). With two convictions, you can lose your license for two years and the possibility of serving time in jail increases.

Depending on your prosecutor, and the judge in charge of your sentencing, you may be able to work out a settlement which allows for a continuance of your case (diversion) - with your case continued until you satisfactorially meet all terms of a diversion program during a probationary period that can be as long as 2 years. The diversion program will more than likely include a requirement to commit to X number of hours of community service, and fines, and court costs, and possibly drug/alcohol classes and their costs, and restitution to the store for the liquor stolen. A civil action filed against you by the store is a possibility, as well.

If you do not meet all terms of any offered diversion program, your misdemeanor(s) can wind up on your criminal record and there are many, many problems you will encounter should this happen.

Unless you get a good lawyer involved in your case now, you may not be offered the diversion program. The lawyer can work with the prosecutor to get you the best possible outcome. There is a (slim to next-to-no) chance of all of your potential charges being dismissed. Always possible, but highly unlikely.

I understand from your other thread that you are concerned about recovering your e-cigarette. This should be the least of your worries, unless you are hoping to sell it so you can afford the fines and attorney fees. Even then, I doubt it is smart to ask the police for it back right now. And I strongly recommend you look for new, much smarter friends.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">