• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft v vandalism?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janderson11881

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
My house was recently broken into and the copper stripped. I purchased vandalism coverage specifically for this purpose but the insurance company refuses to cover me. I was not eligible for theft coverage because the house is vacant and under construction. The insurance company says they will pay for the damage to doors and windows as well as for visible cuts made to the pipes remaining but not for any of the replacement expenses. How do I get them to reassess their position since I believe as a part of the house not a personal item they should cover a bit more of the cost?

janderson11881

I would like that but realistically I am looking for them to meet me half way by supplying the labor to do so and I would cover the materials as they were actually removed and not just damaged.

moburkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
My house was recently broken into and the copper stripped. I purchased vandalism coverage specifically for this purpose but the insurance company refuses to cover me. I was not eligible for theft coverage because the house is vacant and under construction. The insurance company says they will pay for the damage to doors and windows as well as for visible cuts made to the pipes remaining but not for any of the replacement expenses. How do I get them to reassess their position since I believe as a part of the house not a personal item they should cover a bit more of the cost?
what type of insurance policy did you purchase? Did you have a policy SPECIFICALLY for house under construction or did you have a vacant house policy? They are 2 different policies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">