• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MO Mom

I suspect a family member of stealing $2000 cash from my home, but I can't prove it. What should I do?

MO Mom

I accessed my cash, which was saved for emergencies, late one evening. The following day, everyone in the family, except the suspect, attended a birthday party. The suspect was alone in the house for 5 hours. The day after the party, I went to access the money and it was gone. The suspect didn't know I had the money and didn't know where I kept it. So, the suspect must have searched to see if we had any cash in the house, found it, and took it. No one else had the time or opportunity to steal it.

quincy

I accessed my cash, which was saved for emergencies, late one evening. The following day, everyone in the family, except the suspect, attended a birthday party. The suspect was alone in the house for 5 hours. The day after the party, I went to access the money and it was gone. The suspect didn't know I had the money and didn't know where I kept it. So, the suspect must have searched to see if we had any cash in the house, found it, and took it. No one else had the time or opportunity to steal it.
That might support your suspicions but it does not prove the family member stole the money.

You can include your suspicion in your report to the police. I recommend you do not repeat your suspicion to others.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and don't refer to this person as "the suspect".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">