• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Therapist malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redman24

What is the name of your state? TN

I hired a therapist to help me reconcile with my son who the mother had alienated against me and gave her my insurance information, for 3 month minimum court mandated counseling.

It turned out the alienating mother had paid the therapist to NOT insist on joint counseling, and all "counseling" was separate, so absolutely no progress was made, then after 3 months she dropped our case.

I found out that the therapist never charged my insurance, and she claimed all work was probono but I know she was paid off by the mother.

What is my legal recourse to get this therapist to admit she was paid off?

quincy

I hired a therapist to help me reconcile with my son who the mother had alienated against me and gave her my insurance information, for 3 month minimum court mandated counseling.

It turned out the alienating mother had paid the therapist to NOT insist on joint counseling, and all "counseling" was separate, so absolutely no progress was made, then after 3 months she dropped our case.

I found out that the therapist never charged my insurance, and she claimed all work was probono but I know she was paid off by the mother.

I don’t know if you CAN get the therapist to admit she was paid off by the mother. How did you learn about all of this?

If you have evidence to support a complaint against the therapist, here is a link to filing a complaint:
https://www.tn.gov/health/health-program-areas/health-professional-boards/pcmft-board/pcmft-board/complaints.html

Last edited:

Just Blue

How do you "know" the therapist was "paid off" by Mom?

quincy

To answer the question posed by Zigner in the previous thread, here is a link to Tennessee’s law on parental termination:
https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2019/title-36/chapter-1/part-1/section-36-1-113/

redman24, if you are still trying to get visitation with the child who was the topic of your previous thread, I think you would be smart to get an attorney involved. You appear to be struggling trying to do this on your own. And your son will be aging out of the system soon.

Last edited:

LdiJ

To answer the question posed by Zigner in the previous thread, here is a link to Tennessee’s law on parental termination:
https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2019/title-36/chapter-1/part-1/section-36-1-113/

redman24, if you are still trying to get visitation with the child who was the topic of your previous thread, I think you would be smart to get an attorney involved. You appear to be struggling trying to do this on your own. And your son will be aging out of the system soon.
In December of 2017 the child was 14. Therefore the child has to be 17 or close to 17 now. I am not sure that getting an attorney involved is going to help at this point. Once the child turns 18 he will no longer be subject to visitation orders.

On the other hand, if an attorney could get at least joint counseling sessions mandated with another therapist, that might give the OP the opportunity to create some sort of relationship with his child that might last into adulthood. It would have to be approached correctly though, and I am not sure that the OP has been doing that.

quincy

In December of 2017 the child was 14. Therefore the child has to be 17 or close to 17 now. I am not sure that getting an attorney involved is going to help at this point. Once the child turns 18 he will no longer be subject to visitation orders.

On the other hand, if an attorney could get at least joint counseling sessions mandated with another therapist, that might give the OP the opportunity to create some sort of relationship with his child that might last into adulthood. It would have to be approached correctly though, and I am not sure that the OP has been doing that.
We don’t know yet if the child redman is writing about now is the same child he wrote about in 2017 - but it seems likely.

The reason I suggested - and still recommend - that redman consult with an attorney is that, if this is the same child, redman has little time to waste if he expects the courts to assist in any reunification attempts. Based on redman’s previous thread and his presence once again on this forum, he seems ill-equipped to handle the situation with his son and ex-wife on his own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">