• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

they took everything. what can i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toriori26

my car was stolen in the middle of the night on january 31, 2018 in Pottstown PA. I reported it the next morning as soon as I woke up. my insurance company wouldn't help me and the cops didnt do anything to help me either. a few months after it was stolen, it was found an hour away in Reading, PA. it was found because the thief got a parking ticket and my car was towed and impounded. I got sent the $150 parking ticket and I was also told I had to pay thousands to get my car out of impound. at the time, I was living out of my car, so I not only lost my car, I lost everything I owned along with it. literally EVERYTHING (down to my dad's ashes) but I couldn't get any of my stuff because I had to prove the car was mine, but I couldnt do that when my title, registration, insurance cards and every other important paper of mine was IN MY CAR. being a 24 year old single mom living off of a waitresses tips and a $2.83 an hour didnt give me any where near the amount of money I knew I needed, especially when I missed two shifts at work and got fired. all of this caused my family to not only cease contact with me, they also cut me off from my sons life completely. now my car may have gotten sold without notifying me

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What did you expect the police to do except to take a report? Did you have more than basic insurance coverage on the car?

Do you have a copy of the police report you filed, or at least a report or complaint number?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I got sent the $150 parking ticket and I was also told I had to pay thousands to get my car out of impound. at the time, I was living out of my car, so I not only lost my car, I lost everything I owned along with it. literally EVERYTHING (down to my dad's ashes) but I couldn't get any of my stuff because I had to prove the car was mine, but I couldnt do that when my title, registration, insurance cards and every other important paper of mine was IN MY CAR.
Then I suggest you contact a Pennsylvania legal aid clinic. It may be able to help you get the car out impound. Can't hurt to contact them and see what they might do for you.

quincy

my car was stolen in the middle of the night on january 31, 2018 in Pottstown PA. I reported it the next morning as soon as I woke up. my insurance company wouldn't help me and the cops didnt do anything to help me either. a few months after it was stolen, it was found an hour away in Reading, PA. it was found because the thief got a parking ticket and my car was towed and impounded. I got sent the $150 parking ticket and I was also told I had to pay thousands to get my car out of impound. at the time, I was living out of my car, so I not only lost my car, I lost everything I owned along with it. literally EVERYTHING (down to my dad's ashes) but I couldn't get any of my stuff because I had to prove the car was mine, but I couldnt do that when my title, registration, insurance cards and every other important paper of mine was IN MY CAR. being a 24 year old single mom living off of a waitresses tips and a $2.83 an hour didnt give me any where near the amount of money I knew I needed, especially when I missed two shifts at work and got fired. all of this caused my family to not only cease contact with me, they also cut me off from my sons life completely. now my car may have gotten sold without notifying me
You can get copies of most of your important documents (e.g., registration, insurance) by requesting copies at the agencies involved.

The fact that you immediately reported the theft of your car to the police should help in retrieving your car from impound.

A free legal aid clinic, as linked to by Taxing Matters, can provide assistance.

Good luck.

LdiJ

You can get copies of most of your important documents (e.g., registration, insurance) by requesting copies at the agencies involved.

The fact that you immediately reported the theft of your car to the police should help in retrieving your car from impound.

A free legal aid clinic, as linked to by Taxing Matters, can provide assistance.

Good luck.
My experience is that it doesn't help at all, sadly. I had a car stolen and it was irrelevant towards getting the car out of impound. In fact, the police officers actually apologized to me for calling the tow truck before running the plates. The only thing that helped me was that my insurance included towing. My insurance ended up covering the towing.

quincy

My experience is that it doesn't help at all, sadly. I had a car stolen and it was irrelevant towards getting the car out of impound. In fact, the police officers actually apologized to me for calling the tow truck before running the plates. The only thing that helped me was that my insurance included towing. My insurance ended up covering the towing.
Timely reporting of the theft helps in locating the car and helps if the thief is located and identified. toriori26 can sue to recover the impound fees (or value of car and possessions if car was sold).

LdiJ

Timely reporting of the theft helps in locating the car and helps if the thief is located and identified. toriori26 can sue to recover the impound fees (or value of car and possessions if car was sold).
My reporting of the theft was certainly timely. Suing the person who stole the car was possible but a total waste of the filing fees. Seriously Q, do you think that the street thugs who steal a car have any assets that can be seized by a victim who sues?

quincy

My reporting of the theft was certainly timely. Suing the person who stole the car was possible but a total waste of the filing fees. Seriously Q, do you think that the street thugs who steal a car have any assets that can be seized by a victim who sues?
I don't know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">