• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They're giving me the boot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Winchester

I was hired as a maintenance man for a particular apartment building. The owners want a "Now Renting" banner put up on the side of the building about 3 stories up. The sidewalk is slanted, so I can't use a ladder. I priced lift rentals, but the owners don't want the expense. They expect me to hang out of a window and use a rotor-hammer to put lag bolts into the brick. No safety equipment is available. I told them this was not something I felt comfortable doing and basically told them no. These fellows also own a building a couple of lots down from the apartment building. It has been shut down by the city due to faulty wiring. It also needs new flooring, some plumbing updates and general remodeling. The owners have asked me to do the work. Even though I know how to do the work, I am not a licensed contractor. The remodel job is not what I would call maintenance. Now the owners have an add in the paper for a new maintenance man. They haven't terminated me yet, but the writing is on the wall. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this situation.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Two things:

1. If you live in an "at will employment state", then they can fire you whether you like or not, with or without cause.

2. However, if it is because they want to put you in danger, and that is not part of your job to begin with, then they cannot do it.

3. You might want to report them to the housing authority for being slumlords.

4. To cover yourself, check with the EEOC (equal employment opportunity commission). BEfore you do, read the employment labor law section and all applicable subsections at freeadvice.com's home page.

hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">