• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Think I have a chance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bernier1974

I live in Maine
I helped raise my two grandchildren for the first couple years when my step son had them and mom came and went as pleased. Then he went to jail, I helped her but only a short time , disagree with everything she does, then she stole from me , about this time three years ago. It became harder to see them and she moved around a lot. It’s now been a year and 4 months since she told me I would never see them again for something she accused me of doing and finding out it was her mother didn’t change anything. I am the only one who has been there for them since day one and I miss them terribly! I have recently found them finally and even though I have my step son full support ( she took them from him 3 years ago and he hasn’t filed or anything yet, says he will when we get address, but I don’t know if the courts will just not consider him since he hasn’t. ) I am really nervous I will get denied for grandparents rights since they are both alive and parents have first say. I am not blood but have a very strong bond with them both and they have called me Grammie since they could speak!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters - how old are the children? Were your stepson & Mom married when they were born? If not, has he been legally declared the father?

LdiJ

I live in Maine
I helped raise my two grandchildren for the first couple years when my step son had them and mom came and went as pleased. Then he went to jail, I helped her but only a short time , disagree with everything she does, then she stole from me , about this time three years ago. It became harder to see them and she moved around a lot. It’s now been a year and 4 months since she told me I would never see them again for something she accused me of doing and finding out it was her mother didn’t change anything. I am the only one who has been there for them since day one and I miss them terribly! I have recently found them finally and even though I have my step son full support ( she took them from him 3 years ago and he hasn’t filed or anything yet, says he will when we get address, but I don’t know if the courts will just not consider him since he hasn’t. ) I am really nervous I will get denied for grandparents rights since they are both alive and parents have first say. I am not blood but have a very strong bond with them both and they have called me Grammie since they could speak!
The fact that they are your step grandchildren is a problem for you. That does not give you standing to sue for grandparent visitation. In addition to that, a grandparent visitation case is difficult to win even if you do have standing. A grandparent who has standing to file a gpv case has to prove that it causes actual harm to the children not to have the grandparent in their life.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am really nervous I will get denied for grandparents rights since they are both alive and parents have first say. I am not blood but have a very strong bond with them both and they have called me Grammie since they could speak!
You live in Maine. In what state do the mother and children now reside? Is the step son the legal father of the child? Are you still married to the step son's father and if so would he be joining in the petition for visitation? How long has it been since you saw the grandchildren?

Why won't the step son seek visitation? If he is the legal father and has visitation, he could allow you to see them during his visitation time, since you say he's agreeable. That may be the best route to achieve your goal here.

LdiJ

You live in Maine. In what state do the mother and children now reside? Is the step son the legal father of the child? Are you still married to the step son's father and if so would he be joining in the petition for visitation? How long has it been since you saw the grandchildren?

Why won't the step son seek visitation? If he is the legal father and has visitation, he could allow you to see them during his visitation time, since you say he's agreeable. That may be the best route to achieve your goal here.
I think that dad/stepson is in jail.

Just Blue

I live in Maine
I helped raise my two grandchildren for the first couple years when my step son had them and she came and went as pleased. Then he went to jail, I helped her but only a short time , disagree with everything she does, then she stole from me , about this time three years ago. It became harder to see them and she moved around a lot. It’s now been a year and 4 months since she told me I would never see them again for something she accused me of doing and found out it was her mother didn’t change anything. I am the only one who has been there for them since day one and I miss them terribly! I have recently found them finally and even though I have my step son full support ( she took them from him 3 years ago and he hasn’t filed or anything yet, says he will when we get address.) I am really nervous I will get denied for grandparents rights. She has neglected their medical care and I can help with it. I am not blood but have a very strong bond with them both and they have called me Grammie since they could speak!
Step-GP don't have GP standing to sue for visitation. If you have any other standing to sue for visitation, would require an attorney and a lot of money.

Keep in mind that suing parents for visitation is a combative move...and if/when you lose, it guarantees that you may not see the children until they reach their majority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">