• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thinking adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoNBoo

What is the name of your state?GA, My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years now, and we have not been able to concieve. I was wondering for the state of Georgia, how much adoption usually costs, just a general idea. I realize every case can be different, but we were just wondering and wanting to eventually look into it. Thank you for any advice you can give me in the future!!!

BoNBoo

do you know what web site I could go to for something like that, I have searched our county and surrounding counties and all I get is a web site full of phone numbers. I was wondering if there might be a site where I could search the web so I would not have to sound stupid when I call them???

nextwife

The Georgia Center for Resources and Support is a state wide project funded by the Georgia Department of Human Resources and presented by Families First and Bethany Christian Services:
http://www.gaadoptionresources.org/

Adoptive and Foster Parents Association of Georgia (AFPAG)
http://www.afpag.org/

www.Adoption.org

And there are many online support groups of adoptive parents who have a "been there-done that" perspective and those parents can offeer valuble and informed input. Which is especially helpful to we who have adopted toddlers and above.

Some of thse are country specific, or region specific. Some are devoted to parents of kids who may have a particular Special Need. I'm on a weblist of "older parents", who have adopted at 40 or older.

Last edited:

BoNBoo

My husband and I thank you so very much for your input and your ideas. You gave us more hope for adoption. Thank you very much...

nextwife

Good luck.

There is no reason a child who is past infancy shouldn't be just as adoptable. They are only infants for such a short time, but they are children for so much longer after that. SO many kids who are past infancy are passed up for adoption, and they are JUST as wonderful, and far easier to adopt without a long wait, or the need to "market" oneself to birthfamilies. We NEVER did any of that "advertising and marketing" stuff. And YES, my child is very bonded and attached to us, and has NO memories of ever NOT being with us.;

BoNBoo

I do love babies, I work in a convenience store and babies come in there all the time. It isn't that I don't care if I have an infant, an infant is not a priority in adopting for us. I would be just as happy with a younger kid, 6 and below, so then they won't have so many memories of being beaten when they were younger or things like that. I don't want to adopt a 13 year old when I am nearly 30. As I stated before, infants are not necessarily a priority. Once again, Thank you so very much!

kazmomma

Older Child Adoption

We adopted a six year old boy almost three years ago from an orphanage in Kazakhstan. He had spent his entire life in an orphanage and never knew what it was like to have a family.

He is an absolute joy to have around. He is loving, compassionate, beautiful, helpful...he's the most awesome gift on the planet and I can't imagine my life without him...or what I would have missed if I'd waited on the "gotta have a white newborn" list for a zillion years! Not that I begrudge anyone who feels strongly about a child who looks like them or wants the beautiful experience of having a child since birth - I have a bio-daughter so I was blessed to have experienced that as well - I just thank God every day that something inside of me told me to look at older children. The whole process took about 9 months, start to finish and cost about $25k. Adopting from Kazakhstan meant an in country stay of almost three weeks and then we had to go to Moscow (another week) to finalize things at the American Embassy. Our actual adoption was only about half that, the rest was our travel/lodging/food etc., expenses.

Good luck on your journey to start a family . . . however you make it happen! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">