• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thinking of suing big grocery chain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bella26

I was physically assaulted at a store by a cashier who's at least 70lbs bigger than me and 6 inches taller in Memphis. From the beginning, the assistant manager was rude to me. Security got involved because I was assaulted. After the incident, i went straight to the police station and filed assault charges. The cop called it "simple assault".. Anyway, the assistant manager would not let me speak, he was very rude, intimidating because of his size and how close he was to me (im 100lbs, 5 ft woman), and after I had my mouth wide open in shock with him saying that he saw ME be in the cashier's face, he told me to "Shut your mouth...Don't act like you're all surprised!" He also later told me when i pleaded with him to please let me watch the video "Do i need to speak to you in spanish for you to understand?" So i told him "I'm not spanish, and that comment you just made was in fact very racist!" He just said "Pfffff.....cut the crap, don't even go there!" He told me never to come back to that store location, and that my money wasnt wanted.

I know i didn't do anything wrong.. I know that I shouldn't have gotten assaulted by the cashier just for asking her why she felt i was doing something wrong by returning all the items she just saw me purchase! I know the so-called assistant manager never should have talked to me this way. It was obvious he didn't like me before he even viewed the tape.

Anyway, it's been 10 days since the incident and I still have problems sleeping. I have neck, back and shoulder stiffness, and I am severely depressed because of this. I saw a doctor and he prescribed pain medication, and muscle relaxing medication. He also said I suffered from a jacksonian seizure when i described to him what my arm was doing after i got home from the incident.

I want to sue the company because i think i may have permanent nerve damage because of the shock and stress they put me through, and the discriminating way he spoke to me. What kind of lawyer do i need? I don't have the funds for one, so how do i tell the lawyer that he can collect money if we win the case?

Thanks

ShyCat

I want to sue the company because i think i may have permanent nerve damage because of the shock and stress they put me through, and the discriminating way he spoke to me.
Nerves are not damaged, permanently or otherwise, by "shock", "stress" or even "discriminating" speech. I'm sure your nerves are functioning just fine. A visit to a therapist might be in order.

What kind of lawyer do i need?
A newly minted one that's really desperate for work, perhaps.

I don't have the funds for one, so how do i tell the lawyer that he can collect money if we win the case?
The word you're looking for is "contingency". Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

bella26

How lucky I am to have gotten a response from both a doctor and a lawyer!

Anybody else can tell me what kind of lawyer I need to call for? I know he's not called "criminal lawyer" for example, so what is the appropriate term?

seniorjudge

Q: Anybody else can tell me what kind of lawyer I need to call for?

A: A newly minted one that's really desperate for work, perhaps.

justalayman

You're going to want a "personal injury" lawyer. You can find one such in the Yellow Pages under "ambulance chaser".

Good luck!
I don't see you on here very often YAG but when you do show up, I am guaranteed a good laugh.

Hope you are doing well.

yellow pages under ambulance chaser.

I love it!!!!!!

tranquility

One problem you will have is that no one on a jury will believe your story. There is certainly something more.

Even without that "more", you really haven't proved up any damages. Unless you have doctor's bills and whatnot, I'd let it go.

Hot Topic

Interestingly enough, you leave out the reason why you bought what you did, then turned around and returned it. I think it's reasonable to expect that you would follow up with something like, "I bought all those things, then realized I had no money left to do (fill in the blank) that day, so I returned them."

There's something about the video that obviously set up alarm bells for the other people involved.
You insinuate that you were physically assaulted, yet not once do you mention being pushed, slapped, kicked, grabbed, shoved into a wall or counter, etc.

Employees are not required to like people who come into the business.

You mention a police officer, but you don't mention a police report. And it doesn't sound like anyone was arrested for assault.

Sorry. I don't see big money for the little woman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">