• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This could be under divorce and/or life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mirakarina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I'm divorced almost a year, but just now awaiting judge's decision on alimony and equitable distribution. In the settlement proposal, my lawyer and I forgot to ask to have my ex keep me as the beneficiary to his life insurance policy. I am the dependent spouse (29 year marriage), on psychiatric disability, and my only income is my meager disability payment and whatever the judge decides to award as alimony. I will never work again and if the ex dies, so will my alimony.
I don't know if it's too late to add that to the decision or not. Have not been able to catch my lawyer by phone to ask.

I read the couple of queries about taking out insurance on someone else. Since I am just about completely dependent on the alimony for income, I definitely have a vested interest in my ex's life. Can I take out a policy on him, w/o involving him (we are not on speaking terms) to help safeguard my future in the event that he should die and has changed his beneficiary??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">