• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This seems wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

You would probably be smart to file a complaint against your attorney with the State Board.

It was on your attorney's request that the additional costs be borne by your ex. The court ordered that and included it in the decree.

I do not see that you are responsible for fees ordered paid by your ex - that is between your attorney and your ex. You should also not be charged for the attorney's efforts to collect on the money owed her by your ex.

The above is assuming your own contract with the attorney does not have a clause that allows for collection from you if the ex doesn't pay.

You can wait for Ohiogal and latigo to post as they seem to be in disagreement with me on this.
I am going to agree with Quincy and add that your ex's bankruptcy means that the attorney should NOT be continuing to go after your ex, which means that your attorney should certainly NOT be charging you additional money to continue to go after your ex.

You really should file a complaint with your local BAR Association.

quincy

I am going to agree with Quincy and add that your ex's bankruptcy means that the attorney should NOT be continuing to go after your ex, which means that your attorney should certainly NOT be charging you additional money to continue to go after your ex.

You really should file a complaint with your local BAR Association.
Thanks for agreeing. We both might be wrong (but I really don't think we are). :D

If Oldshoe wants to post the name of her county (and I understand if she doesn't), I can provide the County Bar Association information for her.

Last edited:

Oldshoe

What will happen to me?

I appreciate your replies very much. I have already called the Illinois BAR Association, and they are supposedly mailing me a complaint form.
However, I am afraid. I have a feeling it will land me in court with more fees. Is it advisable that I retain another attorney to read my contract? Will my current attorney punish me in some way if I complain? Her threats are already becoming more mean spirited.
I live in my friend's basement, and it's very depressing. This is not the way I'd like to continue living. I'm still shell shocked by the betrayal and trauma caused by the divorce and the events leading up to and after it. I want to end this the right way so I can begin to heal. Thank you all.

quincy

I appreciate your replies very much. I have already called the Illinois BAR Association, and they are supposedly mailing me a complaint form.
However, I am afraid. I have a feeling it will land me in court with more fees. Is it advisable that I retain another attorney to read my contract? Will my current attorney punish me in some way if I complain? Her threats are already becoming more mean spirited.
I live in my friend's basement, and it's very depressing. This is not the way I'd like to continue living. I'm still shell shocked by the betrayal and trauma caused by the divorce and the events leading up to and after it. I want to end this the right way so I can begin to heal. Thank you all.
The attorney cannot (or should not, at any rate) retaliate against you for filing a complaint.

You can have another attorney in Illinois read over the contract you had with your attorney, and this would probably be a good idea. The attorney can at the same time look at your divorce decree and the court order on fees and the invoices you have received from your attorney.

You might find free legal assistance at a legal aid clinic or law school.

Again, I could be wrong in my assessment but I am not seeing any justifiable reason for your attorney's additional charges.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">