• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This sounds like something from "Days of Our Lives"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Justagirl751

What is the name of your state? PA
A little over a year ago I made the mistake of having a brief affair with a married man. I ended it after about 2 months, but not before I became pregnant with his child. I decided not to tell him I was pregnant for several reasons; I didn't want to break up his marriage, I never wanted to face a possible custody hearing nightmare, and several other reasons that aren't important right now. My questions is- If, in the future, he were to find out that he is in fact the father of my child, and that I'd withheld that information from him, could there be legal repercussions against me?

Also, if I were to marry a man who wanted to adopt my child, would I have to tell the bio father at that point to make it legal? His name is not on the birth certificate.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Justagirl751 said:
My questions is- If, in the future, he were to find out that he is in fact the father of my child, and that I'd withheld that information from him, could there be legal repercussions against me?

>> Most likely not.

Also, if I were to marry a man who wanted to adopt my child, would I have to tell the bio father at that point to make it legal? His name is not on the birth certificate.
>> Yep. You will have to state who the potential father could be, and he would be notified. His paternity would have to be established, and then it would be up to him to decide if he was willing to terminate his rights. If he chose not to, he would be able to file for custody (not as likely to get it), visitation (almost a slam-dunk that he would) and would be responsible for helping support his child.

For all your reasons not to tell him he has a child, some of which may be good and some may not, you are depriving the child of a relationship with his/her father - and vice versa. I'd say you need to make that right sooner rather than later.

nextwife

Here is a summary of PA adoption statutes:

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/pa_law.htm

I did find this:

Putative Father's Rights
A putative father may execute a consent to adoption at any time after receiving notice of the expected or actual birth of the child. If a putative father fails to file acknowledgment of paternity, appear at the adoption hearing, or file an objection, the court may enter a decree terminating parental rights of the putative father

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
But doesn't the putative father be notified that (a) there IS a child and (b) there is a hearing?

nextwife

Yup. Wasn't saying that she wouldn't have to. Only that if she did and he failed to show, the court could complete the adoption. Also looks like he could consent well in advance (A putative father may execute a consent to adoption at any time after receiving notice of the expected or actual birth of the child) even before there is a stepparent.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Justagirl751 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

A little over a year ago I made the mistake of having a brief affair with a married man. I ended it after about 2 months, but not before I became pregnant with his child.

====================================

My response:

Isn't there a name for women like this?

IAAL

3kidsmom

IAAL??

IF the OP were to marry while pregnant, wouldn't (in many states) the presumption be, that the new husband be the legal father of the child??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">