• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thought I had Custody until now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angel48035

Thought I had Custody until now.HELP

What is the name of your state? Michigan...
Filed for custody of my daughter in 2000 which father agreed to split custody after the divorce in 99,Daughter moved in with me 6/2000.Hired a lawyer to do what he was suppose to.He contacted me saying the friend of the court finally accepted the agreement and that the papers were sent to the Judge to be signed and that is it and he would send me the copys.I had recieved them thinking it is final and after getting a call from my ex stateing that he never recieved the true copy so I checked my papers and only recieved a draft and copy.nothing signed by the judge.It has been 4 years and my daughter is still with me ,she is 11 yrs old,I contacted my lawyer from 4 years ago and he dont seem to want to do his job he was paid to do.What can I do as far as making him finish.This was suppose to be finished 4 years ago,He basicaly lied.The friend of the court had signed nothing they said and Now I am worried about the custody of my daughter.This attorney which is in Escanaba,Michigan and I now live in Clinton Twp,Mi .What can I do.I really need some help.Can I request to see the judge whom was suppose to sign this?can I sue my lawyer?
thanx.:confused:

Last edited:

snostar

It sounds possible that the judge signed the order, you just never recieved a copy of the "signed" one. Contact the clerk at court and ask them to check on your docket number. They will be able to tell you if it was signed or not. If it wasn't signed then contact another attorney.

angel48035

I just contacted the Judicial Circuit Court and they did tell me that it was not submitted to them and that may-be my lawyer had just forgot to do it ,Because she said she knew my lawyer and if he said he would take care of it then he would do so.Yeah well.4 years ago he said it was taken care of and it is not.and that is probably is signed but told me to keep in contact with the attorney anyways.Next week I am going up to the Upper Peninsula and get this thing resolved once and for all. I think Is taking his time because I live 400 miles from him,I once again called him and left another message on his machine.He never returns my calls.Cant afford another attorney as we speak and I am in the process of my son (16) coming to live with me now..besides getting another Lawyer.Anything else I can do or talk to..
Thanx again

O

oberauerdorf

After 4 years you either need to put a rocket under his ass or file a complaint with the state bar association.

And before you ask, they are in the phone book.

angel48035

State Bar Association huh.At least now I know I can complain to someone.Just half the time Nothing is ever done.

angel48035

Just to let you all know.I traveled 400 miles right to the attorneys office and told Him I was going to file a grievience against him and I am going to hire another lawyer and that I was only going to give him 2 days to do so.I gave him the number to where I was staying and he called me 1st thing the next morning to come to his office,he has the papers drawn up and faxed to friend of the court for approval for the signature of the judge.So I did and now finally it has been resolved.His excuse is.He moved his office and my file must have gotten misplaced and shuffled around.Goes to show you how he never had his **** together to begin with.I recieved my papers and went home a happy camper....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">