• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thoughts on Parenting Coordinators

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Calimom3

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a joint legal and physical custody arrangement with my EXH that, after working with for 2 years, I see where some tweaks here and there are needed to jive better with our kids' schedule and to address the things that weren't addressed the first time around. My EXH is not the type of person who will negotiate with me at all, so I have been speaking with some lawyers to assist me in this matter.

One of the lawyers I spoke with has indicated that he feels our case would be perfect for a parenting coordinator. He stated that the issues that my EX and I have are more parenting issues (like how many extra curricular activities to sign them up for and can we take our kids out of town for family things such as funerals etc) and making minor tweaks to the schedule such as changing pick up and drop off times, and shifting the start of summer and school schedules by a week, and not issues that need to be taken to court.

Has anyone here every used a Parenting Coordinator? Does anyone know what kind of authority they have to make changes to a custody agreement? If my EXH has a problem dealing with me on these issues alone, does a Parenting Coordinator have the authority to compel him to discuss and negotiate with me??

Any input would be great...

casa

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a joint legal and physical custody arrangement with my EXH that, after working with for 2 years, I see where some tweaks here and there are needed to jive better with our kids' schedule and to address the things that weren't addressed the first time around. My EXH is not the type of person who will negotiate with me at all, so I have been speaking with some lawyers to assist me in this matter.

One of the lawyers I spoke with has indicated that he feels our case would be perfect for a parenting coordinator. He stated that the issues that my EX and I have are more parenting issues (like how many extra curricular activities to sign them up for and can we take our kids out of town for family things such as funerals etc) and making minor tweaks to the schedule such as changing pick up and drop off times, and shifting the start of summer and school schedules by a week, and not issues that need to be taken to court.

Has anyone here every used a Parenting Coordinator? Does anyone know what kind of authority they have to make changes to a custody agreement? If my EXH has a problem dealing with me on these issues alone, does a Parenting Coordinator have the authority to compel him to discuss and negotiate with me??

Any input would be great...
No, a parenting coordinator has no legal authority. They are basically types of Mediators. If you feel you are being reasonable, and want something Court Ordered, then file for a Modification and request Mediation. If you go through Court Mediation, the Mediator will write a report with his/her recommendations to the Court. The Judge will issue his ruling (which is usually very close to the Mediator's report) and THEN you will have an enforceable Order.

Calimom3

Thanks Casa for your input

I thought that Parenting Coordinators were more expensive mediators, but wanted to make sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">