• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatening voicemail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maria.Garzia

I live in Florida this woman lives in Tennessee my husband and I got married a year ago when I was 19 and a few months after we got married he started talking to an ex girlfriend and she was sending him pictures and they were basically cheating for about four months when I first found out about it in the midst of me screaming and crying I called her and left a threatening voicemail I don’t remember what I said and they continued to cheat with each other for the four months that I had no idea and I have been texting her telling her to leave them alone and I called her some nasty names if she decides to take this to court How much trouble can I or would I be in I have no way of getting to her it was a time of emotional distress and I was not in my right state of mind I’m worried because I texted her this morning telling her to leave my husband alone because I don’t know if it’s still going on or not and I’m afraid if she goes to the cops about it I’m going to get in trouble what should I do

LdiJ

I live in Florida this woman lives in Tennessee my husband and I got married a year ago when I was 19 and a few months after we got married he started talking to an ex girlfriend and she was sending him pictures and they were basically cheating for about four months when I first found out about it in the midst of me screaming and crying I called her and left a threatening voicemail I don’t remember what I said and they continued to cheat with each other for the four months that I had no idea and I have been texting her telling her to leave them alone and I called her some nasty names if she decides to take this to court How much trouble can I or would I be in I have no way of getting to her it was a time of emotional distress and I was not in my right state of mind I’m worried because I texted her this morning telling her to leave my husband alone because I don’t know if it’s still going on or not and I’m afraid if she goes to the cops about it I’m going to get in trouble what should I do
Stop texting her. Do not ever do it again. If you cannot trust your husband not to cheat, then its time to get a divorce.

quincy

Here is a link to Florida's applicable law: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0365/Sections/0365.16.html

As a note, your anger is misplaced. You should be upset with your husband. He is the one who is cheating on you.

Maria.Garzia

quincy

I am angry with him when she respond during this whole ordeal she said she wouldnt stop and was very mean she knew we were married and its not all her fault but im human i made a mistake
I can understand your anger. You erred in making the calls, though.

Although nothing is likely to come from your actions, if the threats were taken seriously by the woman and you are contacted by the police, say nothing to the police until you have an attorney to advise you.

commentator

And above all, Stop communicating with her. She will do what she pleases anyway. But you know that!
Come on, you just wanted to vent. Your anger is always misplaced when you are like, "Keep your hands off my man!" or "Jolene, please don't take my man!" If someone can "take" him, he wanted to be taken, he's the free agent in this situation. How helpful is it for you to call her up and tell her "You better......... or I'll ....." Of course it's an "Or WHAT?" situation. If you make threats about coming up there to beat her senseless or shoot her or whatever, you're the one who will look like a fool and end up in trouble. And then they're together and happy. Don't give them that. Rise above it. It sounds like your husband needs to either move to TN or become a better husband to you where you are. He's the one you need to be talking to. Nonviolently.

quincy

If the cheating is happening one year into the marriage, it does not bode well for a happily-ever-after for Maria and her spouse. It is probably better for them to divorce now, before there are children.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maria.Garzia - You are young and your marriage/relationship is short. You need to get out (divorce) and move on with your life. Don't get married again for a while...heck, you're better off not even having a serious boyfriend for a while. Find yourself, establish yourself, and grow. Once you are comfortable with you, then you can start looking for somebody to share your life with.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
And above all, Stop communicating with her. She will do what she pleases anyway. But you know that!
Come on, you just wanted to vent. Your anger is always misplaced when you are like, "Keep your hands off my man!" or "Jolene, please don't take my man!" If someone can "take" him, he wanted to be taken, he's the free agent in this situation. How helpful is it for you to call her up and tell her "You better......... or I'll ....." Of course it's an "Or WHAT?" situation. If you make threats about coming up there to beat her senseless or shoot her or whatever, you're the one who will look like a fool and end up in trouble. And then they're together and happy. Don't give them that. Rise above it. It sounds like your husband needs to either move to TN or become a better husband to you where you are. He's the one you need to be talking to. Nonviolently.
Yes, as tempting as that frying pan might be...

Marie, your husband should be able to fend off the advances of any woman, especially one so far away, if he truly wants to, no matter how determined she is.

What a good husband would have done: 1) Told the exGF he wanted no romantic contact, 2) blocked her if attempts at romantic contact continued, and 3) if she started making threats, look into legal action.

You do not have a good husband. It will not get better, because clearly he is not interested in becoming a good husband.

And you are not being the best person you can be when you get caught up in such sordid drama.

xylene

Umm, the notion that this very tepid lovers drama is going to be treated as a Federal extortion matter is absurd.

Just lay off with the calls. You really make yourself look bad and, yeah there is a legal risk in threatening someone, even indriectly

AND Cyber-cheating is not grounds for divorce in Florida. Last I checked, crankin it to a pic on a phone is not actually consummation of the sex act. Regular old fashioned beast with two backs having sex adultery wouldn't even be grounds for a divorce.

Only you can decide how to handle going forward with or without your husband. You seem to want him and love him, maybe you should see a counselor, as well as seeing a couples therapist.

Don't listen to these whiny moralists unless you want to. There is no duty to get divorce because of cheating.
This is AMERICA not a Catholic country of perpetual religious punishment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Don't listen to these whiny moralists unless you want to. There is no duty to get divorce because of cheating.
This is AMERICA not a Catholic country of perpetual religious punishment.
My advice had nothing to do with morality. My advice had to do with reality. This young woman (barely an adult) has a LOT of growing and maturing to do in order to "find herself". She needs to focus on HER before worrying so much about someone else. That's not a moral judgment. Furthermore, the fact that her husband's cheating affects her so deeply means that SHE cares about it. It's not a moral judgment for anyone to comment based on the OP's feelings on this matter.

xylene

Why is it that someone is barely an adult (a sympathetic prospect) sometimes, but is other times a young adult with personal problems is faulted for failing to bootstrap themselves...

The OP is a married adult. Suggesting she work on her marriage is not an outlandish suggestion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">