• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thrift savings plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drazencito

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I have been working for the FAA for over 20 years. In 2005 I left to fo to work for an international organization. To incentivize this transfer the FAA has a relocation incentive allowance where:

1. They guarantee return rights to the same or higher level job from which I left.
2. They will make up any difference in pay if I made less money while I was gone,
3. They will reimburse me for child education expenses, rent and utilities paid abroad, and finally,
4. I would be entitled to make TSP contributions for as much as I would have been allowed to make had I stayed employed.

Here is the issue. I am now back in the FAA and they are computing my relocation incetive allowance (RIA) for the 5 years I was gone (a significant amount). This would be paid as a lump sum. I would like to take as much as I can from that allowance and apply it to the TSP in order to delay paying taxes on that lump sum. The FAA is telling me that I cannot do that because the rule states that the contribution to TSP can only come from future salary.

Question: My argument is that the lump payment is "future salary" and therefore eligible to extract the TSP payment from?

TSP Bulletin 00-13.. addresses this in Part II, C, 3

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">