• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LL

I recently decided to travel to my mothers home in the south. I had been experiencing a lot of difficulty in my personal life, divorce and a pregnacy, in that order. It was about 3:00 am in Virginia. I had been on the road about 2 hours when I started having severe pains in my stomach. I immediatly turned around to head back home. I did not realize how fast I was going until a state trooper pulled me over. He said I was going over 100mph! I was scared and hurting and wanting to get back home to my doctor so I just signed the ticket. I made it about 40 miles further, then had to go to the nearest hospital. I had a miscarrage. I do not remember most of what happened between the time I started back and the hospital except I do remember getting pulled over. Is the fact that I was losing the baby and under severe hormonal and empotional strain a valid defense against the ticket?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LL:
I recently decided to travel to my mothers home in the south. I had been experiencing a lot of difficulty in my personal life, divorce and a pregnacy, in that order. It was about 3:00 am in Virginia. I had been on the road about 2 hours when I started having severe pains in my stomach. I immediatly turned around to head back home. I did not realize how fast I was going until a state trooper pulled me over. He said I was going over 100mph! I was scared and hurting and wanting to get back home to my doctor so I just signed the ticket. I made it about 40 miles further, then had to go to the nearest hospital. I had a miscarrage. I do not remember most of what happened between the time I started back and the hospital except I do remember getting pulled over. Is the fact that I was losing the baby and under severe hormonal and empotional strain a valid defense against the ticket?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

It may be an extenuating or mitigating circumstance leading to a lesser punishment, but no, it's not a defense.

You had alternatives . . . calling 911 from where you were, and getting to a local hospital, as one example. Even though you didn't realize it, by driving in excess of 100 mph, you were placing everyone else, and yourself, in immediate danger.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you are doing okay.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited June 01, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">