• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tickets for Expired Registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bakabaka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK CITY (QUEENS COUNTY)

My vehicle's registration expired on August 02, 2014. I renewed my vehicle's registration via NYC DMV's online services on July 30, 2014. I went through the process, paid the renewal fee and receive a temporary 10-day vehicle registration document that I could print and display on my vehicle's dashboard while I waited for the actual sticker to come in the mail. Unfortunately, I never got my registration sticker until August 15, 2014, which is longer than the allotted time allowed with the 10-day temporary registration. The temporary registration document was issued on 07/30/14 and valid only until 08/09/14.

The envelope I received from NYSDMV has a printed postmark of August 01, 2014 (I'm assuming this was the date it was mailed out - or at least the date when the postage was purchased). The envelope has "REG MAIL" and "Presorted First Class" stamp on it. To my understanding and assumptions, "REG MAIL" means "Registered Mail" and should have a tracking number on it that shows when it was accepted and delivered by the USPS. Unfortunately, no tracking information nor Register Mail Sticker/Slip is on the envelope itself. I tried calling USPS and they were unable to help either. Tomorrow, I'm going to call the DMV office in Albany and see if they could provide any information (hopefully a tracking number).

So because of this, I incurred two (2) tickets for expired vehicle registration on 08/14/14 and 08/15/14 by the same NYPD traffic officer (he must've been staking my car out!). Right now, I'm trying to find out if I have a chance to contest this ticket by making my testimony to the Administrative Law Judge that "properly displaying my vehicle's registration was beyond my scope of control" due to the delayed delivery of said mail article. Has anyone ever gone through a similar or same situation as I'm going through right now? Do I have a fighting chance to get both tickets dismissed because the registration sticker never made it to me in time?

Last edited:

racer72

The post office was not responsible for you operating a vehicle without a valid registration, you were. Pay the tickets.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
First of all, you were foolish to wait until the last minute to renew your registration.

That having been said, "REG MAIL" does not mean registered mail. Registration renewals are sent regular first-class mail. So forget about tracking.

You have proof that you renewed prior to the expiration date. If you provide that proof in court to the ALJ the tickets should be dismissed.

Don't wait so long next time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">