• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limit on a personal loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdtoepfer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
LOUISIANA

A friend of mine needed a loan of $1200.00. So, in August of 2006, being a good friend that I am, I loaned her $1200.00. No contract was signed. We had a verbal agreement that this loan would be paid back in 6 months to 12 months. Well, no payment was made and I would like to bring her to small claims court and have her wages garnished. I contacted the Justice of the Peace in the area and was told to send her a certified return receipt requested letter stated that, if she does not respond to this letter, that this is a validation of the loan that is owed. My question is what is the time limit to bring her to court and what procedure is used to garnish wages.

racer72

The SOL for contracts in Louisiana is 10 years, there is no difference between written or oral contracts. You will have to sue her and win before you can even think about garnishing wages. Take care of the suing and winning part, then come back and you can get help garnishing wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">