• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time Off Forbidden

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roenickchick

Arizona

I work for a bail bond company that offers no benefits, no sick days, and very minimal vacation time. The pay is very low. When I started, I informed the owner that I was going to continue to look for more appropriate employment, and would continue to take care of his websites as a freelancer when I left.

Now that I am trying to schedule interviews, he has conveniently forgotten our conversation from four months ago. He threatened me, and forbid me to take any time off for any other reason than being sick. It is not paid time off, it is UNPAID time off, regardless of whether I am sick or not sick.

We get no breaks. I have not taken a lunch hour of any kind since I started four months ago. If I get up to use the restroom there is a commotion about where I am.

The entire office is wired for video and sound, so we can be "monitored." The atmosphere is toxic.

I have two interviews this week. I am afraid to take a day off, but I am going to leave early for my interviews. I do not intend to tell anyone why I'm taking an afternoon off.

I would love to know how much of the treatment we receive is illegal. Or can he do whatever he wants because he's the owner, as he claims?

ecmst12

Your employer decides your schedule. If you are not there when he tells you to be there, you can be disciplined or fired. There is no law requiring him to give you any time off. The law merely requires for you to be paid for all the time you work, including overtime for hours over 40 in a week if you are non-exempt.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would love to know how much of the treatment we receive is illegal. None of it.

Or can he do whatever he wants because he's the owner, as he claims? At least insofar as what you've described, he can.

swalsh411

Well it seems your choices are to either put your life on hold for this dingleberry or go to the interviews anyway and risk being fired. If you are fired for missing work due to a short personal commitment and you have taken reasonable steps to notify your employer that you will not be at work for that period then I think your chances of unemployment are decent. I'm betting he would probably rather you miss work for a few hours here and there then risk the additional unemployment cost.

Stephen1

Don't know about AZ's laws, but in some states there are requirements for lunch breaks (which are usually off the clock). You might, during your non-work time, try looking up your state's requirements.

CSO286

Don't know about AZ's laws,
You should have stopped there.

You should know the answer as it applies to the OP's state and situations before posting.

but in some states there are requirements for lunch breaks (which are usually off the clock). You might, during your non-work time, try looking up your state's requirements.
Of course, if you are going to advise an OP, you might consider looking up the answer instead of posting generic drivel.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record, neither Federal nor Arizona law requires breaks of any kind.

well, you told the employer that you were not a 100% employee (looking for other employment)...so go figure that the employer won't give him good benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">