• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

time taken from vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

para01

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York.

I am a paramedic in NYS and our work schedule is 4 days on 4 days off. This means that we have 3 weeks every other month in which we only have a 36 hour work week. All of the others are 48 hours, and we are paid overtime. However, when we have our 36 hour weeks, if we do not work an extra 4 hours in that week, 4 hours are taken from our earned vacation time (which is at a rate of 17 hours per month, including holidays, etc.). We are also non-union.

Our policy manual states that you must work 40 hours per week to be considered full-time. It also states that you will be scheduled for at least 40 hours in each pay week. However, nowhere in that manual does it state that if you work less than 40 hours, we will take vacation time and fill the void. I do work 40 hours every week, in fact I work 48. Just because it is not in the companies pay period is not my fault. What they are essentially saying is that if you are not willing to work 52 hours in a week, then we will take 4 hours of vacation from you.

Is this ok to do? I do understand that vacation is not a "right"; however, if this is a normal occurrence, can they consistently take this from me? And, if I find coverage for my scheduled shift, and don’t mind losing the hours, can they still take the time from me?

Please help :(

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have never heard of such a policy before and I can't say I see the point, but seeing that they are not required to give you vacation in the first place, no law prohibits them from handling it this way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">