• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

timing of attorney fee increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimBear

What is the name of your state? Colorado.
Question: a contract with my attorney states that the attorney fees will increase if and/or when the case "goes to appeal." We were in settlement negotiations for a long time, during which we were told by the appeals court to wait and see if a settlement was reached. We did reach a settlement, but now my attorney says that the fee increase is effective because they contacted the appeals court. I don't think the fee increase should be effective because we never filed for an appeal, nor did the case "go to appeal'. Any idea which is correct? Also, is there a legal definition for the timing of "go to appeal" ? Thanks.

seniorjudge

This sounds like a very poorly-written contract, but your statement ("...We were in settlement negotiations for a long time, during which we were told by the appeals court to wait and see if a settlement was reached....") indicates that the court of appeals was involved.

Thus, you owe the higher fee.

I have obviously not read the contract; I am just going by what you said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">