• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Timing of surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usound76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY, employer is in OH

I have a surgery scheduled in a few weeks. This time off has been approved by HR for STD and FMLA forms filled out and accepted byt the employer. Recently the company hired a new employee that is supposed to take over my duties while I'm out (4-6 weeks). I have been training him for the last few weeks. My manager has just informed me that if he is not ready to be on his own by my surgery date, I have to reschedule my surgery. I scheduled this surgery in August, to be performed in late October, so the company could get staffing in place prior to my departure.

Can they force me to reschedule my surgery? I don't know how much longer I can adequately perform my job duties with my current physical condition. I feel that I gave them more than enough notice of this leave and everything has been approved already.

Thank you in advance.

swalsh411

They can certainly ask but they cannot terminate you if you take FMLA protected leave. If it gets closer to your surgery and your manager is saying that you must reschedule, I would go to HR because he needs his hand slapped. For now though, just do your best to train this person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">