• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tipped Employee Demanded To Repay It? (PA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sianyde

Recently a waitress in my company served a very large business crowd for lunch. The member who paid the bill paid via credit card and left $45 in the gratuity section. From what I understand, the party was upset about the quality of what was served to them and after 30 minutes returned and demanded the $45 be given back to the person who paid the bill. Can this happen? Isn't that tip a wage? (PA employers can take a tip credit)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sianyde:
Recently a waitress in my company served a very large business crowd for lunch. The member who paid the bill paid via credit card and left $45 in the gratuity section. From what I understand, the party was upset about the quality of what was served to them and after 30 minutes returned and demanded the $45 be given back to the person who paid the bill. Can this happen? Isn't that tip a wage? (PA employers can take a tip credit)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The tip is for the service, not the quality of the food. A tip is also a gift of thanks (a "gratuity") and once a gift is given (with the exception of a gift given in contemplation of marriage), that's it, it's over - - it belongs to the waitress. Now, if the credit payment is stopped, and the waitress' gift is taken back, then the waitress has a good lawsuit against the customer.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">