• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tired of Watching from the Sidelines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

themegchan

State: TN

Hey all. I'm asking this question on behalf of my boyfriend and his best friend.

My bf has been living with his two roommates for a year now. One is absolutely fine as a roommate. However, the other isn't. When they signed the lease, it was agreed that there would only be three cats in the house and that everyone would see to the upkeeping of it. The third roommate has a total of 10 cats, all of which wreck the house. The roommate himself does not clean up after himself and has made a mess of the garage and downstairs (my bf and his friend stay upstairs) and the kitchen. My bf and friend are tired of having to clean up after him, and simply talking to him has done no good. If the landlord finds out there are that many cats there, they can get thrown out, and yet, there's nothing they can do because it's his property. They have decided to move out when the lease is over, and needless to say, the third roommate will not be coming with them.

But I'm afraid for them. In the midst of all this, the roommate has been neglecting to pay bills. He was in charge of paying them, since my bf and friend never had time to. However, he's been spending their part of the money for God knows what! My bf said that he is going to start paying the bills himself, but can something be done about this? I mean, the roommate is not upholding his part of the lease and taking money that is unrightfully his. Can my bf and friend move out early without being penalized? There's no way they can afford the house by themselves, but there has to be some way.

Thanks for any info.

ENASNI

sorry

themegchan said:
State: TN

Hey all. I'm asking this question on behalf of my boyfriend and his best friend.

My bf has been living with his two roommates for a year now. One is absolutely fine as a roommate. However, the other isn't. When they signed the lease, it was agreed that there would only be three cats in the house and that everyone would see to the upkeeping of it. The third roommate has a total of 10 cats, all of which wreck the house. The roommate himself does not clean up after himself and has made a mess of the garage and downstairs (my bf and his friend stay upstairs) and the kitchen. My bf and friend are tired of having to clean up after him, and simply talking to him has done no good. If the landlord finds out there are that many cats there, they can get thrown out, and yet, there's nothing they can do because it's his property. They have decided to move out when the lease is over, and needless to say, the third roommate will not be coming with them.

But I'm afraid for them. In the midst of all this, the roommate has been neglecting to pay bills. He was in charge of paying them, since my bf and friend never had time to. However, he's been spending their part of the money for God knows what! My bf said that he is going to start paying the bills himself, but can something be done about this? I mean, the roommate is not upholding his part of the lease and taking money that is unrightfully his. Can my bf and friend move out early without being penalized? There's no way they can afford the house by themselves, but there has to be some way.

Thanks for any info.
Sorry too ambiguous? Plus..what is the question really? Can my bf and friend move out early without being penalized? I got that one but what are you really asking if you have not read the lease.. Do you have a copy?
Does he want out of a lease that he is written into?

ps.. I am mad I almost spelled ambigious correct the right time.. dangit.. was wrong.. all those that do not like me do the happy dance.. but dang that is a hard word

longneck

no, but if there was an agreement to split the bills evenly and for the roommate to pay them, then your BF can try to take him to small claims to recover the money the roommate did not use fror utilities.

As for the cats...........

This will not make the situation with the roommate any better, but it would get rid of the majority of the cats (probably):

Almost every city has a code or law regarding how many pets can be kept at one property. 10 is definitely over the limit. If they call animal control someone will come out and investigate, cite him with a warning to get rid of the appropriate number. If he doesn't comply they can keep calling. Eventually animal control will remove the animals and he may even be fined.

As for the rest - how much time is left on the lease? There are 2 of them, one of him - have they sat down and confronted him? Did they all get along originally?

Sounds like a mess................
Karla in Amarillo

themegchan

txlandlady said:
This will not make the situation with the roommate any better, but it would get rid of the majority of the cats (probably):

Almost every city has a code or law regarding how many pets can be kept at one property. 10 is definitely over the limit. If they call animal control someone will come out and investigate, cite him with a warning to get rid of the appropriate number. If he doesn't comply they can keep calling. Eventually animal control will remove the animals and he may even be fined.

As for the rest - how much time is left on the lease? There are 2 of them, one of him - have they sat down and confronted him? Did they all get along originally?

Sounds like a mess................
Karla in Amarillo
If they call animal control, then not only will roommate #3 get in trouble (leaving out names), my bf and his friend will get in trouble too for not doing anything about it.

Yes, they've confronted him. A million times. It's always "ok, I'll do something about it." or "I'll change." and then he never does.

The lease is over on the first of June. I don't think we can wait that long though, so I'm trying to find out if there's ANYWAY to move out earlier. They've told me that if someone breaks the lease, they're liable to pay the next three or so months of rent.

longneck

themegchan said:
If they call animal control, then not only will roommate #3 get in trouble (leaving out names), my bf and his friend will get in trouble too for not doing anything about it.
huh? don't you mean that shows your roommates ARE doing something about it? after telling the roommate to get in line wiht the rules, they called animal control. i'd definitely consider that DOING SOMTEHING ABOUT IT!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">