• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title Company had incorrect address on new construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thrill99

Pennsylvania

I bought a home that was new construction (single family home demolished and twin home built) 3 months ago. As it turns out, the title company (although they're blaming the township & county) seems to have messed up the address. Instead of my home being B - I am being forced to change, after 3 mos to A. The title company is currently redoing the docs, contacting my mortgage company, etc. In the meantime I have to get all of the addresses I've already changed, changed again!

My question is . . .do I have any ground to sue the title company for the inconvenience this is causing my family?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pennsylvania

I bought a home that was new construction (single family home demolished and twin home built) 3 months ago. As it turns out, the title company (although they're blaming the township & county) seems to have messed up the address. Instead of my home being B - I am being forced to change, after 3 mos to A. The title company is currently redoing the docs, contacting my mortgage company, etc. In the meantime I have to get all of the addresses I've already changed, changed again!

My question is . . .do I have any ground to sue the title company for the inconvenience this is causing my family?
It's a very minor inconvenience...really.

quincy

Pennsylvania

Inconvenience is not compensable damage.

quincy

Wouldn't that be nice? :)

I agree with thrill99 that notifying contacts of the change in address after having just done that is a pain but thrill99's title company appears to be doing what it needs to do to correct the error on necessary documents.

Dandy Don

Did you retain the services of a real estate attorney to review these transactions? Did you pay for title insurance?

LindaP777

I thought it was the street/house address that was incorrect? The OP states "In the meantime I have to get all of the addresses I've already changed, changed again! "

If it were simply "legal description" or "parcel number" that needed changing, the OP wouldn't be inconvenience. It would just be a matter of correcting paperwork at the county.

thrill99, if it is the street/house address that is incorrect, be sure to file a "change of address" with the post office while you change everything over to the new(er) address.

quincy

I thought it was the street/house address that was incorrect? The OP states "In the meantime I have to get all of the addresses I've already changed, changed again! "

If it were simply "legal description" or "parcel number" that needed changing, the OP wouldn't be inconvenience. It would just be a matter of correcting paperwork at the county.

thrill99, if it is the street/house address that is incorrect, be sure to file a "change of address" with the post office while you change everything over to the new(er) address.
I agree. The inconvenience comes from having to notify all contacts once again of the address change. And inconvenience alone is not compensable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">