• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title Transfer Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

My father wants to quit claim his property to me. The property is free and clear of any loans or liens. He and my mother are divorced and my mother has legally changed her name.

When I checked the grant deed I saw that the title still has BOTH of their names on it, with my mother's old name. Also, in their divorce settlement, she was supposed to quit claim it to him, but I guess my father never got the paperwork to her.

Now my mother wants a piece of it and my father doesn't want to give her anything.

My question is, can we do a quit claim with just my father signing since my mother changed her name? I don't feel my mother should get anything either, but I need to know what my legal options are.



Senior Member
Looks like you and Dad better start negotiating with Mom. Long as her name is there, changed or not, she has to sign anything that happens with the property. Sale, quit claim, whatever.


Senior Member
If he has a court order/divorce decree that requires that she QC her interest in the RE to dad, dad can go to court and legally compell her to comply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential