• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tnine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? disbelief, evidently.

I didn't sign anything with the mother. I wasn't even aware of it for twenty plus years as happening. I never had a official of the courts personally give me anything prior to the ruling. Your comments don't make sense. I don't think you would be taking the same stand if it had happened to you.

I have now given you all the information. Here is a recap.
-Was not notified that was put on birth certificate as father for over two decades.
-Was never personally informed by the courts of the original hearing. (If was notified would have challenged paternity before too much time had passed.)
-I never had sexual relations with child's mother.

And I have no recourse?

I DIDN'T SAY YOU SIGNED ANYTHING.

I said that it was one way paternity can be established.

You seem to think that the court employee needs to actually give you something before the hearing. This is not true. You were served - legally - and that's all that matters.

Silverplum

I'd like to add, if I may, that we answered his question repeatedly. A polite poster would say, "Thank you." :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? disbelief, evidently.

I DIDN'T SAY YOU SIGNED ANYTHING.

I said that it was one way paternity can be established.

You seem to think that the court employee needs to actually give you something before the hearing. This is not true. You were served - legally - and that's all that matters.
The legal service would have given him something prior to the hearing -- whatever he was legally served with. Note that he didn't deny having sex with her until four pages into the thread. I also gave him the statute to start with.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The legal service would have given him something prior to the hearing -- whatever he was legally served with. Note that he didn't deny having sex with her until four pages into the thread. I also gave him the statute to start with.
Additionally, early on he said that he was paying support for years. Then he later says that he never said that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Additionally, early on he said that he was paying support for years. Then he later says that he never said that.
Yeah I noted that. And by "start with" -- I meant I gave him the statute that HE can begin reading before going to others -- not that I gave it as my starting post.

Eekamouse

Here's what I think happened. He had sex with the child's mother and when she came up pregnant, he bailed on her. The court sent out papers and his roommate signed for them so he thought, well, hey, I didn't sign for these papers, my roommate did, therefore I wasn't served so I am not going to court over this, and went on ignoring his situation. He was established by the court to be the father when he didn't come to court and challenge it. He's avoided working or worked under the table all these years but now finally got a regular job and is now being garnished for back child support so he's all mad that this followed him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">