• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To bqnet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

You wrote this then closed your thread:

MY son just turned 18 left home had a week of partying and got into trouble, charged with minor in position. When he came back home I found stolen property in his back pack (GPS ) from a car. I told my Son if he was going to live at home he was going to have to face up to what he did and turn himself in (BIG Mistake on my part) the police came to my home, he turned himself in and confessed, he got into a open car and took the GPS and a small camera. He told them he sold the camera for $10.00. After two weeks passed the police came back my house and arrested my Son for Felony theft and trespassing. After spending the night in Jail he later went to court and Plea Bargained to misdemeanor theft and they dropped the trespassing. He received a $2500.00 fine, He has been at home working full time at minimum wage to pay his fine off, he has not had any other incidents of trouble, In fact he hardy leaves the house. It has now been over 8 months, THE POLICE CAME TO THE DOOR AND ARESTED HIM AGAIN and STATED THEY ARE CHARGEDING HIM WITH TRAFICING, for selling the camera. They took him to jail and he now has a court date? How many more charges can he get for the next 7 years, is this going to be going on for the rest of his life. Now he will not only be paying the 2500.00 but has to pay a Attorney to get help.
Unfortunately for you, your problems began when you allowed your son to move back home.

Law enforcement can seek prosecution on every single offense your son committed. The plea bargains he struck were only for the theft and trespassing. In addition to that, he sold the stolen items, for which he was subsequently charged an additional charge. Perfectly valid, unless his plea bargain prohibited them from adding additional charges for crimes that were directly related to the theft or disposal of the stolen merchandise, which it probably did not.

Your son started out in his adulthood making a lot of mistakes. Sounds like he's gotten himself into a nasty crowd that has him involved in all sorts of criminal activity. As far as how long this can go on, as stated, he will be liable for every criminal act he has committed. The $2,500 fine is pretty good, considering he wasn't sentenced to jail time for the theft and trespassing charges (which he very well could have been).

Don't feel sorry for him. He did all this to himself. It's going to be a long lesson for him to learn - and hopefully, this will provide a significant enough deterrent to prevent him from every committing another crime anytime soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">