• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Danessa Taylor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You somehow managed to lock your thread so that no one could answer.

My 17 year old son is being accused by his employer of stealing from his register. Okay.

A corporate officer questioned him, telling him if he didn't admit to it & quit he would be fired and it would go on his record as a red flag permanently, prohibiting him from getting another job. Not nice of him to say, but not illegal to say either.

Are they allowed to question him legally without a parent being present? Yes.

And does he have to answer their questions? No.

Additionally can they put this blemish on his record without proving it first? Yes. However, before you fly up in the air over this answer, there are certain limits. If they believe that he stole the money, he can legally be fired for it. They can indicate this in their files, and they can tell future prospective employees that he is ineligible for rehire. They can even say that he was fired for suspicion of theft. However, it would be unwise of them to tell future prospective employers THAT HE STOLE unless they have proof.

It was $40 and he says that he didn't close his register out while he went on break and another associate used it while he was gone. They can fire him for the bad judgement involved in leaving his register open, quite apart from the short drawer. He is responsible for what is in the drawer, and if he left it open and someone else stole money out of it, he is still responsible for that.

If I thought he did this I would make him admit and pay back the money but, he has no reason to do such a thing, considering all monies he makes belong to him and he has a substantial bank account. And of course in all the history of the world, no one has ever stolen anything unless they needed to. :rolleyes:

Additionally they sent him home and told him he would be contacted when they wanted him to come back, he has been there for over a year, The length of time he has been there is irrelevant.

can they fire him without probable cause yes, they can. Google at-will employment.

and if not what recourse of action do we have. With regards to being fired, none. But if it appears that they are looking at taking any kind of legal action with regards to the theft, your recourse is to hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">