• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To: IAAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HomeGuru

IAAL,
I'm pissed because in the last several months I have had my responses to no less than 8 posts deleted when the author deletes their entire post and attached threads. Why is this forum setup to allow that and what do you think is the main purpose? The administrator has the power to delete any post at will so I do not understand this option given to the authors. Can you shed some light on this. If my responses can be and are deleted at will by the authors, maybe I would not feel like responding at all.

HomeGuru

LegalBeagle

Re: To HomeGuru

rrg956 said:
There are some simple answers to your question.

First; The same 1st Amendment rights that allow folks to come here and put their words on these boards are the same ones that allow them to take them down whenever they choose.

Second; To have responses remain on these boards to inquiries that no longer exist would make these boards look like gibberish and be virtually impossible to read. I am certain that the Administrator had it in mind that inquiries would be eventually removed along with their responses as to make more room on the server that hosts this site. Once we put the words on these boards that assists someone and they read them and benefit from them, the purpose of those words' existance are served.

Third; I believe that all who enters these boards are persons who want help or want to help. You are difinately one of those who can help others. You should reconsider refusing to do so simply because your words can be erased by those you help. If the words help them, it doesn't matter if they get erased or not. RRG956 :)
1. The moment you post anything on these boards, it becomes the ownership of FreeAdvice.com. Therefore they have every right to deny the original poster from deleting such posts. The problem is, that the original poster also deletes the entire thread and therefore deletes other peoples post. You are then denying them their 1st amendment right.

2. The more threads that deal with a certain topic gives a greater amount of information to new people. That is why we always like new people to search first.

3. I agree... FreeAdvice.com, throughout all these changes, have basically told the regulars who spend way to much time on these boards, that our input adds up to sh!t and if we do not like it, tough.

HomeGuru

On the contrary RRG956, the reason for my existence on these boards is mainly for the purpose of helping others. Others defined as not only the author but anyone else that may benefit such as other readers who are in the same or similar circumstances and/or other contributors. In your own very post that you decided to delete, you alluded to receiving information to also help others in the same boat. If my responses to various posts only benefitted the original author, then I would not be here. I do not wish to help only certain writers but wish to help the masses. I have a gift of intelligence, knowledge, humor and legal reasoning and I don't mind sharing that gift. That is, provided and under the condition that ALL and not just a chosen few benefit. I realize that when I respond to a writer's post, the information benefits that particular writer. The writer's question may in fact be self-serving (and most are). My feeling is that the writer gets their post answered by default since I am responding not only for their own benefit but for the benefit of others.
So you see, you must understand my true intent in helping others on this website. If posts that I responded to are going to be deleted, then my goals for being here will not be met.
So the bottomline is that it does matter to me if posts get deleted. It matters a great deal. This issue goes well beyond any First Ammendment rights. If I can not be of help to ALL, then I will not be a help to one.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 11-27-2000 at 03:26 PM]

HomeGuru

LB, very good points and so true.
I frankly care just as much as the corporate people behind this website as they do about us regulars.

They are second or even third with me.
First and foremost are the readers of this site regardless of whether they are authors or readers.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, it appears I saw your post too late, Homey. Sorry. For myself, I like the idea of being able to delete my own posts - - I'm not so thrilled with the fact that in doing so, it wipes out each succeeding post.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Well, it appears I saw your post too late, Homey. Sorry. For myself, I like the idea of being able to delete my own posts - - I'm not so thrilled with the fact that in doing so, it wipes out each succeeding post.
IAAL
I also like to be able to delete a post.. I certainly liked IAAL deletion to the BK thread where it looked like the women was having a fight with herself.. but deleting the whole thread is silly. By all means allow people to edit and delete that way, but not the entire original thread.

D

David J. Miller

I personally like the idea of being able to delete my posts as well, even though I have yet to excersize that freedom.
The reason is simple. I am known too, on occasion, slam my foot down my throat so far that my various dingleberrys get all mixed together (toe and but).

I'd prefer these sorts of momentile responses not be held against me should I let's say... run for president or the governor of MN.

In fact, this post may be the very first one I delete.

LegalBeagle

David J. Miller said:
I personally like the idea of being able to delete my posts as well, even though I have yet to excersize that freedom.
The reason is simple. I am known too, on occasion, slam my foot down my throat so far that my various dingleberrys get all mixed together (toe and but).

I'd prefer these sorts of momentile responses not be held against me should I let's say... run for president or the governor of MN.

In fact, this post may be the very first one I delete.
Delete it.. but I got you recorded.. Actually it is best to edit and wipe the response because if you delete it, your number of posts is reduced..

D

David J. Miller

Why would I care about the number of posts I have?

Are you guys held to some kind of post quota?

Or maybe there's some kind of competition going on I don't know about where the one with the highest post total at the end of the year gets 25% off coupons to white castle. If that's the case I want in!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">