• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To SusanMargaret

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephenk

If the car your 16 year old was driving is registered to you, your only exposure is $15,000 per claim out of the accident with a maximum amount of exposure of only $30,000. You have sufficient insurance to cover your own exposure.

The ONLY way you would face exposure above those amounts would be if the plaintiffs allege and prove you negligently entrusted your car to your son. It is hard to prove and very fact specific, ie. your son has had prior accidents, is not licensed, etc.

Your insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney to defend you and your son in the event a lawsuit is filed. But even if the plaintiffs have serious injuries, your 16 year old son is essentially judgment proof and the odds are greatly in your favor that the claim will settle within your policy limits.

Dwain

I have a stupid question. Was the person without the seatbelt on in the front or back seat? The seatbelt law only applies only to people riding in the front seat i believe.

SusanMargaret

seat belt

I believe California Law states that all passengers must wear seat belts. The person who was ejected was in the back seat. Also, the insurance claim rep for my auto insurance did mention that the ejected passenger could bear some of the financial responsibility, but he never gave a percent. I was worried that we could be sued for long term pain and suffering above and beyond our policy limits.

Stephenk - Thank you for the advice and comments. You have been very helpful. The car involved in the accident was an eighteen year old pick up truck and was registered to myself and my husband. My son had no prior accidents or tickets and as I mentioned before my 73 year old father was a passenger in the vehicle.

Loveumms- Thank you for the links and comments, this has been an education. I would have thanked you on the other message thread, but it has been closed for posting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">