• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tobacco use policy. Not sure where to post question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Uncle Jerry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga.

I work for a city fire dept. We have a "no tobacco use in city buildings" policy. The designated area is defined as the "yard". Spit and butts are not to be thrown in the yard, driveway or parking lot. Station 1 has a pavillion provided out back , where the smokers and chewers go. Would this not be considered a city building? If it is not a city buiding then shouldn't they have to provide such a structure to the other stations?
Thanks,
Uncle Jerry:confused:

pattytx

Probably not, but only the city involved can answer the question as to what constitutes a "building". It's unlikely that a "pavilion", without doors, without fixed walls, etc., would be one.

Uncle Jerry

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Which leads to the rest of my question. If they provided shelter for the tobacco users at one station, wouldn't they have to at the other stations. Being as the designated area is the yard.

pattytx

No, they wouldn't, because tobacco users are not a protected class; therefore they do not have to be treated the same in one station as in another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">