• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Told I Can't Cancel Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanine

In NY, I have health insurance through my company that is deducted from my paycheck every two weeks pretaxes. I recently got married and called yesterday to cancel my policy as I am going under my husband's. The health insurance provider (EPIX) told me that I had 30 days to notify them of the life-altering change. That was nowhere to be found in my new hire packet of info. Plus I didn't even receive the marriage certificat until after 30 days, so I had no proof of the marriage. They also said IRS regulations say I can't just cancel that I have to wait until the next open enrollment period which is in August.

No one in my office ever heard this and I never signed anything agreeing to this. When I asked for them to fax me the IRS info and anything that I signed agreeing to this, they said yes, but it's been almost two days and I haven't received anything. Is this legal? Am I legally bound to health insurance that I no longer want or will use but I still have to pay for? That just doesn't seem right to me?!

ALawyer

This is primarily an employment matter. Ask the NY State Department of Employment. However, I don't see why they would not let you drop it -- the 30 day notice is clearly required for ADDING coverage after an event, but I don't see why that makes sense if someone wants to drop what is employer subsidized coverage.

M

mlauver

cancel insur

Because you are having your insur. pre-tax you cannot drop it without restrictions applying because the IRS is involved. You should have been notified of this when selecting pre-tax and they would of had you sign a form that informs you of this.

That is my knowledge on this. Hope it helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">