• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too many mistakes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DonB

What is the name of your state?CA

Several months ago I decided I’d have my two bathrooms remodels (master bath and guest bath). After getting several bids I had one contractor I liked and was comfortable with. I asked for references and spoke to the clients, some were completed jobs a few were works in progress. Overall everyone seemed happy and I decided i would proceed.

We negotiated and settled on a price we could both live with (each bathroom was priced separately). The contract was for both bathrooms with specific work do be done spelled out for each bathroom. Upon signing I gave $1K deposit and waited for permit approval. That’s process seemed slow but probably slow dues to COVID and reduced work staff at city.

Each bathroom had its own pay schedule each being due when each phase began (demo, electrical & plumbing, tile, paint and finish work). All had been going well but I kept catching small errors and each time called these out to the contractor. To me it’s more about sloppy and not enough attention to detail on their part. For example plumbing was moved because wall hung vanity was higher than existing. To fitting were moved up but nobody checked it it should also be shifted left or right. I mentioned this and was told all was okay. Turns out it needed to be moved left about five inches and had to be redone. Second when shower door was being installed the door was not properly squared to the tub (had old tub pulled and installed new). Therefore holes were drilled in the wrong place and we do far off adjustments could not be made. The tub would either need repair and refinishing or another new tub installed. My take was if I wanted a “refinished” tub I would have had the old one refinished. So now all the tile work had to be demoed again and we are currently waiting for new tile. There are a few more minor detail oriented annoyances but add this all together and I have zero confidence going forward.

I purposely had them start with the guest bath as it was the smaller of the two projects and if something went wrong I would limit my loss. I’ve not told the contractor I’m all out of patients and no longer have confidence in them. So far I’ve not received any pushback from them on redoing things it’s just been really frustrating making me seriously question if I want them working on my second bath.

Question is what options do I have contract wise since these were both on the same contract?

quincy

What is the name of your state?CA

Several months ago I decided I’d have my two bathrooms remodels (master bath and guest bath). After getting several bids I had one contractor I liked and was comfortable with. I asked for references and spoke to the clients, some were completed jobs a few were works in progress. Overall everyone seemed happy and I decided i would proceed.

We negotiated and settled on a price we could both live with (each bathroom was priced separately). The contract was for both bathrooms with specific work do be done spelled out for each bathroom. Upon signing I gave $1K deposit and waited for permit approval. That’s process seemed slow but probably slow dues to COVID and reduced work staff at city.

Each bathroom had its own pay schedule each being due when each phase began (demo, electrical & plumbing, tile, paint and finish work). All had been going well but I kept catching small errors and each time called these out to the contractor. To me it’s more about sloppy and not enough attention to detail on their part. For example plumbing was moved because wall hung vanity was higher than existing. To fitting were moved up but nobody checked it it should also be shifted left or right. I mentioned this and was told all was okay. Turns out it needed to be moved left about five inches and had to be redone. Second when shower door was being installed the door was not properly squared to the tub (had old tub pulled and installed new). Therefore holes were drilled in the wrong place and we do far off adjustments could not be made. The tub would either need repair and refinishing or another new tub installed. My take was if I wanted a “refinished” tub I would have had the old one refinished. So now all the tile work had to be demoed again and we are currently waiting for new tile. There are a few more minor detail oriented annoyances but add this all together and I have zero confidence going forward.

I purposely had them start with the guest bath as it was the smaller of the two projects and if something went wrong I would limit my loss. I’ve not told the contractor I’m all out of patients and no longer have confidence in them. So far I’ve not received any pushback from them on redoing things it’s just been really frustrating making me seriously question if I want them working on my second bath.

Question is what options do I have contract wise since these were both on the same contract?
You will need to read the terms of your contract to see what it says about terminating the job before completion. We cannot do contract analyses on this forum.

adjusterjack

Let's see if I'm getting this right. You find mistakes, you report them to your contractor, your contractor fixes the mistakes, presumably at no additional cost to you, and presumably you are paying as phases of the work are being completely successfully, and you'll make a final payment after all the work is satisfactorily completed.

If I'm correct then I have to tell you, after 50 years of hiring hundreds of contractors for many projects, small and large, your contractor is gold.

Have patience (doctors have patients). These guys work hard and mistakes do happen. How the mistakes are resolved satisfactorily is what separates the good contractors from the bad ones.

FlyingRon

Yep, if they "make it right" you're not getting anything additional out of the court. That is an equitable remedy (and perhaps the only one).

DonB

Yep, if they "make it right" you're not getting anything additional out of the court. That is an equitable remedy (and perhaps the only one).
Thanks to all that replied. Ron I’m not looking to “get anything additional“, I’d simply be looking for a clean break. As I mentioned I’ve not yet discussed this with the contractor as I don’t want to get left with a bathroom half completed. And I mostly agree that errors happen and it’s how they are resolved is what counts in the end. But I also believe there comes a point when it’s just too much. The examples I gave a both were just a few of about 18 items that have needed to be redone.

Last edited:

zddoodah

No one who hasn't read your contract can opine intelligently about this, but I agree with the general sentiment expressed in prior responses.

But I also believe there comes a point when it’s just too much.
If you reach that point, you may be entitled to terminate the contract. You could also make a claim against the contractor's license bond. You can find out who the bonding company is by searching the name or license number at the License Board's web site. The bond is only $15k max, so don't let things get too far out of hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">