• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too many roommates!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I live in a 5 bedroom house with 4 other people. Three of us are named (and signed) on the lease and 2 are not, due to zoning laws; I am one of them. The lease was for 1 year which expired at the end of May, 2005, so we are now on a month-to-month lease under the same terms as the original.

I am now sick of living with all those crazy people and want to move in the next few months. I just need to know how it works in a situation where more then one person is on a lease and one is moving but others are staying. I know I have to give the right amount of notice (30 days I think) but can the LL just take my name off the lease and leave everything else the same? I believe the rest of the roommates want to stay.

ENASNI

ecmst12 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I live in a 5 bedroom house with 4 other people. Three of us are named (and signed) on the lease and 2 are not, due to zoning laws; I am one of them. The lease was for 1 year which expired at the end of May, 2005, so we are now on a month-to-month lease under the same terms as the original.

I am now sick of living with all those crazy people and want to move in the next few months. I just need to know how it works in a situation where more then one person is on a lease and one is moving but others are staying. I know I have to give the right amount of notice (30 days I think) but can the LL just take my name off the lease and leave everything else the same? I believe the rest of the roommates want to stay.

Ack you said the "R" word. Roommates are icky. Anyway, I hate your state's site for landlord tenant law, and I doubt your situation is really on there.

It is more up to the landlord and the "crazy people. "

Who's Liable?

If your lease has laready expired, you are on a month-to-month lease.

All that is requried is 30-days notice to vacate(or whatever is deemed necessary per your states LL/T laws.) to the LL...

Make sure to include a forwarding address for your deposit, and send it ALL CRR...

ecmst12

I'm not worried about the deposit, I think one of my roommates paid it for me anyway! I think they only asked for $500 for the deposit even though our rent was $1300. I did pay first and last month's rent....am I entitled to get the "last month's rent" back (or can I use that as...well my last month's rent)?

As far as my first question, I guess what I am basically asking is do we have one lease with 3 names on it, or is it more like 3 separate leases, one for each of us?

xylene

ecmst12 said:
. I did pay first and last month's rent....am I entitled to get the "last month's rent" back (or can I use that as...well my last month's rent)?

As far as my first question, I guess what I am basically asking is do we have one lease with 3 names on it, or is it more like 3 separate leases, one for each of us?
You need to give 30 days notice- at least one rental period. IE notice given on April 15 means you have to pay the full May rent, unless a subsitute is found. No prorating.

Now concerning the security deposit, if it is under your name on the lease you collect as legally you are entitled to it. If someone else paid it than you owe that person, like a loan. You should have kept this more straight.

The "last months" rent was for the last month of your original 1 year term. Did you also pay rent for that month? If you did than your LL is holding your last months rent and you may apply it to you final month.

Who's Liable?

ecmst12 said:
I'm not worried about the deposit, I think one of my roommates paid it for me anyway! I think they only asked for $500 for the deposit even though our rent was $1300. I did pay first and last month's rent....am I entitled to get the "last month's rent" back (or can I use that as...well my last month's rent)?
You will need to verify this wih your states LL/T laws.

ecmst12 said:
You've already answered that. it is in your opening post.

If you want to leave, you need to give the proper notice to your LL.

ecmst12

xylene said:
Now concerning the security deposit, if it is under your name on the lease you collect as legally you are entitled to it. If someone else paid it than you owe that person, like a loan. You should have kept this more straight.
Well I am still friends with at least the guy who paid the security deposit, I don't think it's a concern. He most likely won't move out until the rest of them do so he'll get it back from the landlord. Technically yes I owe him but he's not going to take me to court over it; it's not a main concern.

xylene said:
The "last months" rent was for the last month of your original 1 year term. Did you also pay rent for that month? If you did than your LL is holding your last months rent and you may apply it to you final month.
Yes we did pay rent for that month. I just don't want the rest of the people in the house to get penalized and end up having to cover my portion of the rent if the LL decides he doesn't want to credit me for that money until all of us have vacated the house. I guess I'll have to ask him about it.

ecmst12

I am really hoping and praying that I will be able to find a place that isn't a dump, that I can afford on my own, but I have promised myself an absolute maximum of ONE roommate, from now on!

ENASNI

ecmst12 said:
I am really hoping and praying that I will be able to find a place that isn't a dump, that I can afford on my own, but I have promised myself an absolute maximum of ONE roommate, from now on!

There is no hope for you, I am giving you up. :(

Trust me on this it is better to eat [URL="http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00032DH0U.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg"]THIS[/URL] every day then have a roommate.

Okay, I have not given up on you YET. But make sure you are not a close friend with this next person. Trust me on this. :eek:

ecmst12

Bumping up for an update.

Enasni should be happy, I did find a lovely one bedroom apartment that I can afford so NO MORE ROOMMATES! I am so happy, you have no idea.

I sent my 30-day-notice letter about a week ago and the LL got it, I have my receipt and everything. I said that I would be moving out by June 1 and that he was to use the $375 that I paid as "last months rent" for my May rent, and to take my name off the lease as of June 1 also. After he got it, he called me to say that he didn't think he should have to be out my deposit money, that I should have to get it from the rest of the current tenants and the one who will be moving in after me. I told him no, that's not my responsibility. I told him that my May rent was to be taken out of the deposit, and when the new person moves in on June 1, he'll pay first and last month at that time, and then he'll get his deposit back. He didn't seem to like that, but I belive he's wrong and I'm right, and anyway he contacted me by phone and not in writing so he doesn't even have any proof that we spoke, not that I ever agreed to his terms at any point. This guy is a moron, he's completely ignorant of the law, he knows nothing about being a landlord, the reason he owns the house is because he used to live here.

I'm not really worried but I think it's kinda funny. What's he gonna do, evict me? Except I'm already moving...and if he tries to evict the remaining tenants, I think they'll mop the courthouse floor with him. That's IF he could even figure out how to file for eviction...for tenants who've paid their rent...every month...on time...for 2 years....without a new lease for the past year....and accepted a rent increase with no lease....come to think of it, they could probably sue him for $200 a month for the past year or so since he raised the rent since he never gave us legal documentation of it....but I digress.

I'm not paying him any more then I already paid him for May's rent. He can take it up with the rest of the house on how he's getting that deposit money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">