• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Took trip with sister . she left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I’m guessing the op is from California and since they were riding together the sister is as well. Small claims limit is $7500. While not BIG$, that is a pretty good chunk of change. About 134 pounds if it is in current dollar coins.
$10,000.00 is the limit for a first claim in Small Claims Court in CA.

quincy

Am I missing something? A one way bus trip on Trailways from Boron to Barstow is under $20.
I had earlier checked the distance between Boron and Barstow (about 40 miles) and was going to question the need for two nights in a hotel, but decided not to press it. :)

Last edited:

HRZ

And Sis' version of the story might be far different ...and quelling a fight in a car by driving might involve getting passenger out of car

quincy

And Sis' version of the story might be far different ...and quelling a fight in a car by driving might involve getting passenger out of car
It is probably safe to say that sister has a different story to tell. :)

Zigner

Does the difference come from what court is used? I know other states have differing small claims limits depending on the city (e.g., Pennsylvania, Philadelphia).
No, it comes from the DCA screwing up. The limit is $10k

ETA: One cannot sue for more than $2,500 more than twice in a calendar year.

Zigner

?

I don't understand that. That seems to say the limit is $5,000.
Individuals, $10k. Businesses, $5k.

If you are an individual and want to file a lawsuit for $10,000 or less, you have the option of filing a small claims case or a limited civil case. If you are a business, you can file in small claims court for $5,000 or less.

LdiJ

If you are an individual and want to file a lawsuit for $10,000 or less, you have the option of filing a small claims case or a limited civil case. If you are a business, you can file in small claims court for $5,000 or less.
So, where is the 7500.00 coming from? Odd.

quincy

California and it's incomprehensible legal information continues to amaze me. The Midwest is so sane in comparison. :)

(like the shark, Zigner!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">