• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tourist Visa & criminal record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Irishgirl

What is the name of your state?
NY
I plan to get married to my live-in partner this March , and intend to do so in NY. Some of my family will be travelling from Europe. I dearly want my brother to be there. The problem is that he overstayed a tourist waiver visa about 7 years ago by 2 or 3 days. He has been advised that should he want to enter the USA again, he will need to apply for a tourist visa from the embassy, contingent on providing proof of non-immigrant intent. This should not be a problem as he is very settled and can provide all the paperwork. However, 3 years ago he acquired a criminal record for throwing a party and selling beer without a liscense and was also the 1st person to be prosecuted under a new law that stated he knowingly allowed the consumption of drugs at his party. Will this kind of conviction deny him entry ? Should he confess to it pre-emptivley or should he just not mention it ? What is the correct protocol ?
Thank you in advance for any advice .

HomeGuru

Irishgirl said:
What is the name of your state?
NY
I plan to get married to my live-in partner this March , and intend to do so in NY. Some of my family will be travelling from Europe. I dearly want my brother to be there. The problem is that he overstayed a tourist waiver visa about 7 years ago by 2 or 3 days. He has been advised that should he want to enter the USA again, he will need to apply for a tourist visa from the embassy, contingent on providing proof of non-immigrant intent. This should not be a problem as he is very settled and can provide all the paperwork. However, 3 years ago he acquired a criminal record for throwing a party and selling beer without a liscense and was also the 1st person to be prosecuted under a new law that stated he knowingly allowed the consumption of drugs at his party. Will this kind of conviction deny him entry ? Should he confess to it pre-emptivley or should he just not mention it ? What is the correct protocol ?
Thank you in advance for any advice .
**A: he should hire an immigration attorney.

I

Immigrantguide

I agree. he should not leave the country with out the advice of an attorney that can look at the specifics, including the law he was convicted under, in this case

I

Irishgirl

Tourist Visa & Brother

Thank you for your repsonse. He needs to apply to the American embassy in London, which is where he lives, before he gets on a plane, to secure a vistors visa. Due his previous overstay, he doesn`t have the luxury of availing of the visa waiver scheme. What I am wondering is should he declare his previous record- I don`t think it renders him inadmissable , but what happens if there is no American equivalent to the crime he comimited ? I don`t think there is in NY at least. If he omits to mention his record, what are the consequences ?
Thank you

HomeGuru

Re: Tourist Visa & Brother

Irishgirl said:
Thank you for your repsonse. He needs to apply to the American embassy in London, which is where he lives, before he gets on a plane, to secure a vistors visa. Due his previous overstay, he doesn`t have the luxury of availing of the visa waiver scheme. What I am wondering is should he declare his previous record- I don`t think it renders him inadmissable , but what happens if there is no American equivalent to the crime he comimited ?

**A: then the US can invoke the next highest penalty for a similar crime. It's called an upline invocation.

I don`t think there is in NY at least. If he omits to mention his record, what are the consequences ?
Thank you

**A: death by firing squad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">