• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing Bill for Sold Car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carrke66

What is the name of your state? I live in NY, but situation is in Tennessee

I moved from Tennessee to New York in May, 2004. Shortly before I moved, I sold an old 1987 Ford Taurus I used to drive back and forth to work. A real junker, maybe worth 100 bucks. I sold it to a friend where I worked for 300 bucks cash and signed the title over to him. Apparently, he sold it soon afterwords to someone else for cash also and gave them the title. The title was apparently never taken out of my name and the car was found abandoned on 10/17/04 and towed. I got a notice mailed on 1/10/05 wanting me to pay $1500 in towing and storage charges since I am the last person on the title. Am I liable for this money?
I researched some TN law and TCA (TN Code Annotated) 55-16-105 states they should have notified me within 15 days of receiving the vehicle (which they didn't) and TCA 55-23-104 states they should have notified me 14 days prior to charging me for over 60 days of storage, again, which they didn't. I sent them a certified letter telling them who I sold the car too and the violations of the law on their part in this matter and that I wouldn't pay them a cent.

Would they nail me if it went to court or would they even fight it since I just told them to keep the car?

Thanks
Kenneth Carr

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">