• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

towtruck travesty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeretha

the management where I live had my car towed because I didn't have a valid parking pass but they also instructed the tow company to break into my locked car to get the outdated parking pass that I had put there hoping to avoid being towed. Do they have the right to go into my locked car???????????????????? I am in Virginia.

J

jeretha

TOW TRUCK TRAVESTY

So, then what do I do??? This seems to be common practice around here. I called the police and they took a report but said they didn't know if it was against the law.

[Edited by jeretha on 03-28-2001 at 12:28 PM]

racer72

Opening a locked vehicle to remove property that does not belong to you is legal. The outdated parking pass would be considered property of the apartment complex, not yours. The law firm I am currently doing some intern work for represents many towing companies and while being supervised by a police officer, the tow truck drivers are allowed to open vehicles to remove property that does not belong to the registered owner. The police or driver are not allowed to search the vehicle though. The tow truck driver may also open the vehicle to release the parking brake and shift the transmission if necessary to move the vehicle without causing damage. As I was just advised by a senior attorney and former judge, unless something besides the parking pass was taken, there were no laws broken.

J

jeretha

TOW TRUCK TRAVESTY

Does a police officer have to be present? Stricktly speaking they did take a piece of paper that was mine. I had had a parking pass stolen out of my care previously so I wrote a note saying "if you steal this pass you are dead" and put it on my dash board. They took that note as well and while admittedly it has very little value it was mine and all this is happening in front of the apt building I legally live in and should be able to park in front of without this harrassment. These people are well aware that I live here and this is harrassment pure and simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">